HPE Proliant Servers

• I would definitely advice third option:
    "use USB only for boot partition, and keep other installation partitions on SSD(on ODD/5th port)

Hi,
    Connect only your SSD on your Gen8, then, activate in Bios, AHCI (not raid).
    Install OMV on the SSD. Restart.
    After that, OMV will boot on your SSD, without volume raid. Then, with OMV you will be able to create your volume.

U are not saying where to put ssd :(1) 5th port or (2)front hdd bay?

1. this option shall work BUT ONLY PARTLY!!!
    Wherever it is needed a reset(bootup)(becouse of reason of whatsoever) of Gen8,
    he NEEDS to get HDD`s OUT of front bay`s before of bootup!!!
    Otherways it will NOT bootup.

Therefor is boot(grub) on usb stick is needed!!!

2.That is possible and easy way. Bad side of it is,that he( Mika91) cannot use ssd for more use(saveing) of data on ssd.
    AND the most important, he is LoosinG one bay a front/ in start.

• On my Gen8, i made 2 different setups from scratch.

1st one, with 4 x 4 TB HDD connected on 1.2.3.4 th port, and 1 SSD (5th port, instead of CD/DVD drive). => OMV2, then OMV3 upgrade. Works fine.

2nd setup, with HP smartarray p410 card, and 4 HDD connected on it with miniSAS/SATA cables. The Same SSD but this time, connected on 1st SATA port of Motherboard. Works fine too.

• Hello me again...

Can someone tell me or explain to me some unortodox mystery that hunts from this morning.

I have HP proliant Gen8 microserver.
    One or two years ago i installed Omv on HP with ODD/5th sta port and Grub on intern usb port.
    Because of some amateur handeling i needed to reinstall. That went without a problem two day`s ago.
    Till then i was preoccupied with copying grub on usb.
    This morning i discovered that Omv on ODD and 3 hdd`s(1,2,4port) is BOOTING UP without problem ?!?!
    Same OMV3...etc.

One of the few "wtf" moments in my life!

Can someone explain please (just do not say "that`s a job of Gremlins) ???

• Offizieller Beitrag

This seems to be rather a long thread!! Having got hold of a Gen7 N54L I starting searching for some sort of sensor monitoring, I came across this which lead onto this and from the first link led me to this

Has anyone installed these? I have installed lm-sensors but that just displays

Code
    k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:        +30.1°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                           (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +95.0°C)

Further information is here once installed those drivers will display more information.

• i have a proliant dl160 gen 6 that i am trying to use omv with and have the OS on a 32gb flashdrive. and there are no drives set up in the raid config at boot and when i go to the web config after the server boots up, i have no ability to see any drives in there. does the gen 6 server not have the ability to use the raid card directly with omv

• Offizieller Beitrag

i have no ability to see any drives in there. does the gen 6 server not have the ability to use the raid card directly with omv

Put simply no, you'll need to change the bios settings, disable the raid option in the bios and set it to something like AHCI. OMV does not support hardware raid out of the box, it will require a driver and the option enable hardware raid. But, doing that, if it works, OMV will see your drives as one and you have no way of monitoring the raid itself.

• Put simply no, you'll need to change the bios settings, disable the raid option in the bios and set it to something like AHCI. OMV does not support hardware raid out of the box, it will require a driver and the option enable hardware raid. But, doing that, if it works, OMV will see your drives as one and you have no way of monitoring the raid itself.

so i need to go into the bios and change from raid to ahci? and this will give omv the ability to control the raid card, or it just isnt possible with my current server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

so i need to go into the bios and change from raid to ahci? and this will give omv the ability to control the raid card, or it just isnt possible with my current server?

Having searched for that particular server, it has a P410 raid card, which is a dedicated raid card to get that server to work with OMV you'll need an HBA card something like a Dell PERC H200 or H310 flashed to IT mode.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Having searched for that particular server, it has a P410 raid card, which is a dedicated raid card to get that server to work with OMV you'll need an HBA card something like a Dell PERC H200 or H310 flashed to IT mode.

With that card, you either have to let it create the raid array and OMV will see one drive -OR- you have to create a single drive raid 0 array for each drive (I know it sounds terrible). Otherwise, you will have to go with geaves idea.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

I come to you to understand and find a solution.

I have a HP DL380e G8. After several unsuccessful installation attempts, I managed to install OVM 4 via an SSD in a USB external box. I tried to reinstall OMV4 after a bad handling making the system unstable and I find myself with the same problem. Namely after the installation of OMV succeeded and reboot to restart on the disk, it does not find a bootable disk.

I had managed to solve this problem by going through a SSD in usb, but this solution seems to no longer work for no apparent reason.

For information during the installation and boot no disk except the SSD are connected.

Similarly in order to have a transparent view on the RAID, I have the p420 RAID card in HBA mode.

P.S:Here are also the topics that I had created so that you have more information on the configuration and advice / solutions that I had already been told.

28351-OMV-and-Raid-controller/?postID=212206#post212206
    28468-no-bootable-disk-after-installation/?postID=212314#post212314

• I'm using P420 and P822 in my all NASes and I have no problem running OMV with them.
    They run in proper RAID mode and are not flashed to IT (HBA) mode.

On one server I have a P420 with 4 SSDs attached (2 Raid-1 for OS and 2 Raid-1 for VirtualBox and Docker), then I have the data drives on a dedicated disk shelf connected to the P822.
    On the other I have a P420 with a 2 SSD (Raid-1 for OS, swap and Docker) and then 4 WD RED drives.

I have had no problems what-so-ever with these raid card as the P-series HP raid cards are fully open source and the drivers have been built-in the kernel for a long time.
    That doesn't hold true for the H-series that are HBA only.

HP MicroServer Gen 8
    HP DL360e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2700

HP DL380e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2600

• My OMV boot concerns are not related to my p420 RAID card. I have it in my message to give you more details.

Why did I go on the HBA mode? I wanted to have a "NAS" with a fairly large storage capacity (about 44TB).Having a fairly fast configuration and with a lot of ram, I thought to move to 2 array of 7 disks 4TB in RAIDZ.

For that I need that the OS can handle the RAID and at the same time a machine with more than 8 sata are rare and it is often the machines with RAID cards that manage that, the card raid was therefore logical choice.

In my previous test, I realized that even when trying to install DEBIAN on the machine, the drive was not recognized as bootable.
    After having successfully used an externally connected USB SSD which had solved my concerns, I find myself again with an unrecognized disk at boot time.

What I would like to find and understand with your help is why it is not recognized as bootable when it has already been. I did different tests with different settings in the bios no change.

The only difference between my current attempt and the previous one is that I remember that during my attempts, OMV could not partition the SSD, after a partition deletion and formatting in FAT from my PC, I I try to install it again and it works. I will try to do this again and keep you informed.

I hope that from your side you can give me some tracks too.

EDIT:
    I just deleted the partitions and format the SSD, successfully installed again successfully, and then the server did not find a bootable disk.
    it is to believe that GRUB does not settle or installs in the wrong place or badly. I can not understand why I have succeeded 1 time and nothing since.

• You need to possibly update grub, do you install from USB or CD

I had already thought about this possibility, looking at the documentation, it is besides that that the idea of installing debian at first metait came and made it possible to see that I had the same worries of boot . that's also why I said "as if" because it does not seem to come from grub.

Regarding the grub, it is present on the disc. here are 2 screenshots, one showing that grub is installed on the SSD, and a second showing the result of a "parted" to verify that the SSD includes a boot part.

If you need, I can send you the grub file

• Offizieller Beitrag

Namely after the installation of OMV succeeded and reboot to restart on the disk, it does not find a bootable disk.

The only reason I asked was from the above, that implies you used a USB flash drive for the install and the outcome therefore is correct. Grub expects to find the install drive and not the drive OMV has been installed on. This post and thread might be of some help

• As much for me :) thanks for the link to the post.

The only reason I asked was from the above, that implies you used a USB flash drive for the install and the outcome therefore is correct. Grub expects to find the install drive and not the drive OMV has been installed on. This post and thread might be of some help

As much for me :) thanks for the link to the post.

• Hello,
    I come back to you to give you news. Strange fact it seems that for installation and execution, if I flow through the USB port in front of the server.

I tried to connect the SSD on the front and the USB key on the back, the bootable key was not recognized
    So when installing OMV on the SSD the USB key on the front panel and the SSD on the rear panel works, once the installation is finished, I need to connect the SSD on the front for it to be recognized.

My concern is solved, but I do not understand why I have to go through the USB port in front.

• >>> i have a HP MicroServer Gen8 4Bay.

1,2,3 Bay i use for Data Raid.

Can i use the 4th bay for Backup? somehow i have no accesses to the Disk.

Of course i do a real Backup with USB Backup.

thx for help

<<< No, not if you have used the 'built in' raid controller to create the raid rather than OMV's software raid option, but you may find some information here or here
    >>> ok moved everything there (now here), how can i find out which raid i use. (didnt know that there is a hardware raid :)

boring OMV.
    it runs and and runs and runs and runs and ru ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok moved everything there (now here), how can i find out which raid i use. (didnt know that there is a hardware raid

:) you din't have to move your post, I suggested you look in the two links I posted.

As OMV does not 'see' your drive in the fourth bay I'm assuming it's because the raid setting in the bios is set to it's default, which would suggest why that drive is not found.

I have Gen7, but with the modded bios, this allows me to turn off the raid function in the bios and OMV sees all the drives, I think on the Gen8 that setting is also there, but the default setting is to use raid. If you didn't change any bios settings then it's likely your Gen8 is using hardware raid.

But what's the output of cat /proc/mdstat

• But what's the output of cat /proc/mdstat

Code
    root@omv:~# cat /proc/mdstat                                                                                                                                                         Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]                                                                                                md0 : active raid5 sda[0] sdc[2] sdb[1]                                                                                                                                                    5860270080 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/3] [UUU]                                                                                                             bitmap: 0/22 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk                                                                                                                                        

boring OMV.
    it runs and and runs and runs and runs and ru ...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!