HPE Proliant Servers

• OK tnx.
    The thing for me is, why offering a full harddisk for only 2-4 gb OS partition and the rest cannot be used.
    Ah well, what you are telling me, I have plenty room for it, and thinking to make a raid10 for it.

---------------------------------------------
    My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

• lol

He's right though. This has been discussed MANY times. I'll say it again: Do NOT use anything other than a hard drive for OMV. SSDs of course being the exception. That means no SD cards, no USB flash drives, no compact flash cards, and nothing over USB even if is a hard drive. You have 8 drive slots, that leaves you 7 for storage and that should be plenty. If you cannot afford higher density SAS drives, simply mount SATA drives. The server is fully compatible with SATA and can still do RAID functions with them.

Many use a 2.5" HDD in an external USB enclosure... ;) And I wouldn't say something against it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Many use a 2.5" HDD in an external USB enclosure... ;) And I wouldn't say something against it.

Greetings
    David

But....

My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

• Yes, he wrote it. But i also aggree with David here. A HDD drive in an external case connected to USB (or short, external HDD) does work very good and does NOT have the problems like SD cards, Flash drives etc...

• I'm also running a Gen8 G1610T with OMV.

My configuration is:

SATA Ports 1-4: 4 x 3 TB in software raid 5
    Port 5 (ODD): SSD with OMV
    MicroSD Slot: MicroSD with bootmanager (grub2), so i can boot from SATA Port 5.

Works fine!

• hi there,

I ordered my microserver gen8 today, I hop to get it before the weekend, if not it'll be on Monday. It's for home use, but will be on 24/7.

Have been reading (here but on other home-server-fora) a lot today (and very little working :D), the questions that I still have:
    - I want to have NO raid (so just big disks in the 4 slots in the front). I want a 2.5" hdd (no sdd) connected to the optical disk drive sata connector and boot from it
    - I read a lot about fan noise - I hate noise

What is my best solution?
    1. harddisk-question
    -Install the os on the 2.5 hdd, knowing it can't be booted and install grub on a microSD (boot from the microSD)?
    2. fan-question
    - some other/hack iLO-firmware?
    - put one of my data-disks in raid 0 (stand alone raid 0 - so useless) so iLO can access it and put the fan speed to normal (or do ALL the disks have to be raid 0?)

I have a few disks full of data, and don't want to lose that converting them to a fakeraid0. I just want to plug in the data-disk and serve them accross the network.

HP Z800 Workstation running OMV.

also running Nextcloud for home home use, Motioneye for CCTV, Ampache for listening my music around the world

Dual CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz

• 1. Yes ;)

2.Fan Speed with the newest BIOS (November 2014 i guess) is "normal", also in AHCI mode ... My Gen8 is from december and it is everythink fine.

thanks

1. do I need a specific cable to attach the 2.5"?
    2. what version of BIOS is that? So I won't need any kind of raid, all in AHCI.

also running Nextcloud for home home use, Motioneye for CCTV, Ampache for listening my music around the world

• -Install the os on the 2.5 hdd, knowing it can't be booted and install grub on a microSD (boot from the microSD)?

How do I install the grub? I found this tutorial, but how do I get there? Just after installing, before the system want to reboot (out of the installer and into the freshly installed OS) open a new shell (alt+f2 or via ssh) and do this there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You guys are real creative! Yeah, that boot loader solution over SD or USB is perfect, I see zero issues with that.

David, I had a lot of trouble doing it over USB. Maybe I had a crappy HDD enclosure, but every so often I would lose communication to it from the server. One thing to keep in mind is that with a usb enclosure, there's yet another PSU and a cheap USB cable. So for heaven's sake, put it on a UPS and use a high quality USB cable.

• I used to have that config on my RPi and will continue to do that with my Odroid C1 once the damn serial cable is here to debug why it has so much quirks for me...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yeah, that boot loader solution over SD or USB is perfect, I see zero issues with that.

Could one please tell me why booting from the ODD does not work anymore? Have not googled, yet :whistling:

Maybe I had a crappy HDD enclosure, but every so often I would lose communication to it from the server.

I used my first server for over 6 month with an old externald HDD without any issues.

• Could one please tell me why booting from the ODD does not work anymore? Have not googled, yet :whistling:

When you're not using raid, but legacy or AHCI mode for the 4 drive bays you cant use port 5 (the one intended for the optical) to boot from...
    That's what I read, mine isn't delivered yet :)

• I don`t have yet the Gen8, but let me ask:
    1- Is it possible to reorganize the intermals conexions to have the 1st port for the ODD bay and the 5th port for the 4th bay disk?

2- Is it possible to configure each bay disk in Raid0 in the bios and have OMV manage a software Raid1?
    - And, with this set up, boot on the 5th port ( the ODD one )?

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. No. The connector is mini-SAS, ODD is a traditional SATA port. Not interchangeable.
    2. Yes, you can configure each drive on a "RAID 0" (fake RAID) fashion and use the soft RAID software in OMV.
    -No, you cannot boot from the 5th port (yet).

You will have to install a boot loader like GRUB onto a USB drive or microSD card that points to the OMV drive. This was just discussed in this thread.

• 2. Yes, you can configure each drive on a "RAID 0" (fake RAID) fashion and use the soft RAID software in OMV.
    -No, you cannot boot from the 5th port (yet).

I got mine yesterday, and I attached a 2.5" to the 5th sata (odd). you can boot from it - if it is the only disk in the machine.

For exaple : you can boot the odd-2.5-disk, and when booted you can insert the 3.5" sata in the tray and mount 'em from the omv-interface.
    But .... I'm going to do the microSD solution.

Nice machine it is, that gen8

• You can prepare a usb stick with, for example, SuperGrubDisk and boot from this stick. Then you can choose the omv installation from sata port 5. Then install grub.

cant get it to work. I used this howto: http://jarrodla.blogspot.be/

The system reads the sdcard, and launches grub, but then grub has some wrong referer to the wrong disk I think. How can I find the fault?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!