Remote login and ctrl-d (bypass the darned thing somehow)

• Ok, I have a problem.

I have been trying to set up a RAID5 on my NAS, and every time I get things going and reboot the system, all the uuid's get messed up, and OMV is unable to mount the devices properly, and thus keeps waiting for someone to press ctrl-d. The problem is, that currently I'm hundreds of kilometers away, and need to reboot the machine every now and then, and it is quite impossible to press ctrl-d when things go wrong. Is there any way to get past this silly prompt remotely? It's a little frustrating to know, that the next boot / power outage is going to lock my computer for a week or two, until I can get to it and physically press two buttons.

• I would rather ask myself why your UUIDs get "messed up". It seems more like a drive is missing instead, thus your system drops to maintenance.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I would rather ask myself why your UUIDs get "messed up". It seems more like a drive is missing instead, thus your system drops to maintenance.

Greetings
    David

Indeed. However, it would be a lot easier to do maintenance on the system remotely, if I didn't need to worry about the computer blocking me out when I restart it.

Currently I have a LVM/RAID setup running, and everything is working as it should, but I just can't restart the computer to check 100% out of concerns that I'll be unable to access it for the next two weeks.

Also, when setting up the new RAID, I noticed that OMV is getting the old UUID for the md0 from somewhere and adding it to fstab, even though it doesn't exist anymore. I have to keep removing it manually.

Well, anyway... I just thought that someone could maybe comment on how to get past the maintenance prompt remotely. This is a nuisance when working with the system in the same room, as well, because it's supposed to be a headless system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only way I know of would be if you had a remote access system like Dell drac or similar. There might be a way to setup a serial console on another local machine. Saw a post today about something similar but can't find it now. Can't spell LOL Does Upgrade involve kernel boot parameters for failsafe access? Maybe he can explain it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just saw this post. The serial port for my nas is connected to the usb port of my router running openwrt. The I can access through ssh to the router remotely and from there to the serial console for the NAS. (This won't give you access to the BIOS, you need something like intel IMPI for that).

You need to enable the serial console for:
    1)grub boot menu
    2)boot sequence (kernel boot parameters)
    3)and a login tty

For grub add these lines to /etc/default/grub

Grub boot menu

Code
    GRUB_TERMINAL=serial
    GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --speed=115200 --unit=0 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1"

Kernel boot parameters

Code
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8"

When you finish run update-grub2

Now the login serial console edit /etc/inittab add this line

Code
    T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100

I'd recommend you to buy a good serial cable, one with an FTDI chip. The prolific ones are just pure sh*t, tons of fake chips coming from china, drivers won't load, gibberdish in the screen. This is valid for OMV 1.0, Debian Squeeze might have a slight difference in grub syntax, also never achieved 115200bps back then.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!