Problems with netatalk during update to 1.0

• Already tried the backports kernel, it´s a little bit better but 8 mb/s is still terrible.

Yesterday i setted the p-state governor to userspace with an manual setted frequency and the speed went up to 70 - 80 MB/s which is very good.
    But i´ve to find a solution for this problem without loosing the pm features.

Any ideas?

OMV 4 Arrakis | Kernel 4.14 ... running on
    SelfBuilt NAS -- Asrock Q1900-ITX -- 4x 2,4 GHz in Burst Mode -- 4 GB DDR3 RAM -- RAID 5 -- 3x 3TB WD Red

• But i´ve to find a solution for this problem without loosing the pm features.

Userspace does not mean you should loose power management. But u will need to configure a userspace daemon to do the job instead of the kernel. Wheezy comes with cpufreqd and cpufrequtils.

I guess trying the kernel's ondemand governor did not do the trick for you?

Can you tell what exact board or network adapter you are using?

• I´m using a Mini ITX Board with integrated CPU Asrock Q1900-itx.
    The strange thing is that sqeeze makes no problems with it.

The Network card isn´t the problem cause iperf gave me fullspeed in both directions. (about 117mb/s)

SelfBuilt NAS -- Asrock Q1900-ITX -- 4x 2,4 GHz in Burst Mode -- 4 GB DDR3 RAM -- RAID 5 -- 3x 3TB WD Red

• I'll look into your setup late, may be google can find something.
    Your situation seems difficult and a direction of the cause is not yet clearly visible. Sometimes a software-client like samba can trigger bugs in drivers, that are not obvious on first sight. If you had a second nic laying around it would not hurt to give it a try.
    This is also why I recommended to connect from your omv box to its own shares. Quick to do and it can give a hint in what direction to look for.

Zitat

The strange thing is that sqeeze makes no problems with it.

Have you tried using an older kernel? http://snapshot.debian.org/ might be of help for that. But be careful to keep a working linux-image on your box :)
    A different idea might be to use http://www.sysresccd.org to use an different/older kernel.
    Although it is gentoo based, I had no problem booting my omv installation with it, after grub failed me on my 0.5 -> 1.0 update.

• OK, just for information.
    Now i´m using the the backport kernel which includes the intel_pstate driver which is optimized for intel cpu´s and can handle the states much better.
    With this and the performance governor (intel_pstates just have two) the speed is incredible (read 117 mb/s, write 80 mb/s)
    The only thing is that the intel_pstate overclocks my cpu automaticly but hope this is no problem because intel_pstate normaly knows exactly what the cpu can bear.

Thanks for your help.

• I installed the backports via omv-extra, so the kernel isn´t newer 3.14?
    Is this a problem?

It clocks the cpu to 2.9 at turbo mode, so it´s a little bit over the manufacturs default value.

• One little other thing.

Got on backports an error containing this error:
    firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw (-2)

I already have firmware-realtek installed but the version which is installed doesn´t contain the needed driver.
    In this package it would be implemented: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firmware-realtek

So what would the best solution to solve this problem?

Edit:
    Already have it, seems the driver wasn´t for backports.
    intalled it with apt-get -t wheezy-backports install firmware-realtek

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von wastez ()

• About the overclock situation: Are you sure you posted the correct model versioin of your CPU?
    Intels ARK site is usually correct and the J1900 does not have a turbo mode. However its seems to have a "burst speed". Will have to find out the difference..maybe burst affects all cores while turbo usually kicks in when only 1 or 2 cores are under load.
    In any case: The regular frequency is 2.0GHz and 2.4Ghz for burst. So 2.9 is 20% on top of that.
    Are you sure the frequency was lower under 0.5 Sardaukar? It might have to do with your UEFI settings

• I´m sure in 0.5 it was the just 2.0 ghz for 100%....
    It uses the acpi_freq driver and this is get it directly from UEFI.

My UEFI setting can´t edit the frequency, cause mainboard and cpu are together.

I just can do the following:
    1.Find a solution to set a speed maximum on intel_pstate.
    2.Hope that the cpu can handle it.
    3.Go back to 0.5.

Edit:
    Do you think it´s just an wrong displayed information?
    Cause the minimun is 1600MHz instead of 1300Mhz.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von wastez ()

• OK....
    Now i disabled intel_pstate via kernelflag and changed the governor to ondemand and now i´ve almost the same read/write speed but limited to 2ghz.

What do you think generelly, is the default or the backports kernel better?

• Personally I would go with the default debian kernel, if everything else works fine beside the intel_pstate driver. Lower p-states (frequencies) still work without the driver on idle, right?
    The main reason for newer kernels is support for new hardware/drivers. But if these don't work I don't see much reason to use a backport provided kernel.
    I am not sure if the backport repository provides kernel updates more frequently. If so, that would be another argument in favor of the default kernel for me.

• Ok, so now i´m writing a review cause i tested pretty much and my expierence can solve much time for other people.

With the backport kernel i was able to reach again 117mb/s read and 60 - 90 mb/s write speed on afp.
    First i leave the automatic started driver intel_pstat with performance govenor which normaly is better, but in my case the cpu is detected wrong which mean two things:
    my system was overclocked from 2 Ghz to 2,9 GHz, but this could be managed by setting a max cpu scalling. But the other problem was that the minium frequency was also detected wrong (1600Mhz instead of 1300 Mhz)

So i´m now using the backport kernel but with acpi_freq driver, but not with default conservative governor, ondemand did the trick for me.
    Seems like they have changed something in the newer kernel on it, so that more p-states can be used which is very important for me.

Thanks for your help.

Edit:
    Maybe a admin or a mod can split this theme in two. (the netatalk theme, and the performance issues theme)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!