My single drive silent NAS HP T5740 thin client build

• Neat thread, I came upon one a HP T5740 that was getting tossed and decided to do something similar. I'm going to use it as a home automation server, so didn't need a ton of space, but the 2GB flash included just wasn't big enough so I got a SSD and basically followed this tutorial: http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5740/mods_glenn.shtml. The only difference was the SSD drive I got (on sale with rebate at Fry's for $29.00) is an all plastic body, so I didn't even really see a need to mount it. I just stuffed it into the case and it worked great! Figured I'd pass along what I learned and thanks for the thread to give me the idea!

• Offizieller Beitrag

@impala454 i had one if this units (5720) with a 512MB DOM, i used with pfsense as a router using vlan (single nic for WAN and LAN), later on i dismissed because it wasn't stable enough ( I think it was the IDE 2.5HDD that i installed).
    By that time i always wanted to expand to a second nic, never got a positive in ebay for the expansion case. Last week the search email trigger arrived (i forgot i put a search on that part) so is available in case you want more space.

Take a look here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Hew…q-t5720-New-/262249617252?

I think it should be compatible with 5740 unit, since i recall the number difference was the OS the shipped with (debian, embedded XP, etc)

Take a look here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Hew…q-t5720-New-/262249617252?

I think it should be compatible with 5740 unit, since i recall the number difference was the OS the shipped with (debian, embedded XP, etc)

Unfortunately, that item won't work. The T572x and T574x used different enclosures, The number that identified the OS is the last character (T5720 being windows, T5725 Linux, and T5722 having no OS). The T574x Thin Clients are physically different. There's a separate expansion unit for those. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP…8bea74:g:9hQAAOSwBahU7MWO

• I have a HP 5730 with a new pci-e sidecar that's on a closet shelf. I bought it a while back to experiment with. It works great. PM or email me if interested.

It has Athlon/Sempron 2.0+ Ghz cpu and 1 GB ram, IDE 1GB DOM module. Best IO I got was around 80-100MB/s over its GB nic. Not bad.

MY NAS is a E5300 cpu on a Intel DG45FG ITX board. Raid 0 pair + OS drive.

• Hi there guys.
    I am following this threat since 10 days.
    At this point my HP 5740 has arrived and i figured out a lot to do with, whenn its that nice working as i tought.

My trouble is, that i have correctly replaced the 4gb flash by a 160gb Samsung harddrive.
    The drive is getting power and is running well.

But the problem is that Bios, i could not get a newer bios as the official latest 40HV0104.rom.

Do anyone knows how to fix this, or another cheap way to get more spaced working harddrive on this system.

Kindly thanks in forward for your answers.

UPDATE !

I dont know what happened, but after a 2nd try i left post and wanted to try install windows7 tiny in hope that windows regonize that harddrive.
    in that way the machine started, in post process the system regonized my harddrive.

As i told before, first i rushed to bios to setup harddrive, but it doesnt detect it, and freezed a while? Hmmm?

• Hello,

I first have to say that you did a great job on modding and breaking down the t5740.

I recently got one and I was able to put a 2.5 hdd in.

My question is how did you put Windows into it?

I tried putting the hdd in my laptop and install Windows XP however when I put it back into the thin client, it freezes when it loads up.

Any help is appreciated

with regards

• You have to boot with a usb stick, with the windows installation

---------------------------------------------
    My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

• The t5740 is a thin cliënt, it runs Windows 7, but the sata is i think sata 150.
    Are you using a ssd disk and at least 2gb of Memory?
    Its older hardware software fast as fast as newer hardware.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1562 met Tapatalk

• @DaWauZ Im using a regular 2.5 laptop hdd. Do you think if I change it to ssd it will perform better?

Also do you know if the half pci e wifi/bluetooth cards works good. I'm using a nano usb wifi adaptor and I find that the speed are very slow too.

• @DaWauZ Im using a regular 2.5 laptop hdd. Do you think if I change it to ssd it will perform better?

Also do you know if the half pci e wifi/bluetooth cards works good. I'm using a nano usb wifi adaptor and I find that the speed are very slow too.

Hi, yes a ssd Will give some extra performance and a WiFi card too. USB dongle is not that fast.

• I had only experience with one, that had the adapater as default in it.
    I dont know exactly what model but if you search on google for HP T5740e specs you will find some pdf's with info from HP.

Note that a model without the card, hasn't got the antenna wiring in it.

• I have also an T5740 as NAS. I placed an 10 gig 2.5 inch ide drive in it as system drive and i am using 2 USB drives (3 gig for downloads, data etc, 4 gig as Rsync backup drive) as storage and its working for about 3 years now perfectly. Recently i bought a memory upgrade for my laptop and used my old 2x 2 gig for the T5740, but it sees only 2.90 gig as useable... I know that the T5740 is 32bit but my understanding is that it should see all 4 gig ram with the PAE kernel. The Atom N280 processor is also PAE capable...

Do i miss something here? Or is the T5740 not capable (hardware limitiation) of using more than 3 gig ram?

• Hi, yes a ssd Will give some extra performance and a WiFi card too. USB dongle is not that fast.

Hi DaWauZ, may I know what's the samba transfer speed that you can get from an NTFS external drive connected via usb?

Sent from my Z2 Plus using Tapatalk

• Hi DaWauZ, may I know what's the samba transfer speed that you can get from an NTFS external drive connected via usb?

I dont know exactly. I only used internal disks, and only external for backup but don't monitored it.

• Hi DaWauZ, may I know what's the samba transfer speed that you can get from an NTFS external drive connected via usb?

I dont know exactly. I only used internal disks, and only external for backup but don't monitored it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!