How to share internet in omv1

• Hi.
    How to share internet?
    I have 2 interfaces:
    - eth0 - provider dynamic ip (auto connect and internet work)
    - eth1 - connected to switch
    What can i do next step?
    P.S.: sory for my english :/

• OMV is for a NAS ( network Attached Storage), not for a router.

Why you do not use a router to share Internet?

PD: Perhaps i can't understand what you want, please describe what you want and post some diagrams to show it.

• He wants to bridge eth1 with eth0 to share internet to his private network. That could give him some benefits as using OMV as an advanced firewall or even a proxy with caching.

I tried myself, but unfortunately I wasn't able to configure one adapter to one network and a second one to a different network in OMV. One problem I had is that the DNS configuration does not let you specify a independent configuration for each adapter and continuously overwrites it if you try to manually configure /etc/network/interfaces.
    IIRC, the same happened with the gateway. Upon restart, the secondary gateway in interfaces was changed to the same for primary. (Also domain name, but that may be reasonable)

I though OMV had a problem with networking GUI <-> interfaces file synchronization, called it good and went to other things.

Also, I didn't in the name of lord, managed to get a wifi configured. I think it's interesting to be able to configure a wifi as someone (like me) could have a wifi hotspot as a inet backup, or have a OMV as a "lan party" storage rig.

Note: I don't see any deterrent for having a OMV machine as a router. One could mount several network interfaces on that machine and manage them as a very advanced switch and router. Even he could install a virtual machine with a dedicated router mgr software (as DD-WRT) and pass that hardware to it. that could give the benefit of eliminating another machine sucking electricity (the router).
    Seems interesting to me. Inconvenience may be, as always, availability and SoC.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The dnsmasq plugin should do what is wanted in this case. It is still an alpha plugin but it is here.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 2 raulfg3
    diagram as this

I hoped that omv can work as router and I able to config it in web interface. But it is not so. OMV not for me =((.
    In omv everything is wonderful except the router functions.
    If omv have router functions in future, i am redy to buy omv.
    Thank to all, the topic can be closed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to his diagram, dnsmasq does exactly what he wants. You just need to enable dhcp in dnsmasq. I still think a router does a better job though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Do you have only a modem on the Internet connection?
    Your diagram is not recommended at all!
    If you don't have a router you can buy one for $15 and it does a better job than OMV that its not a router and even with dnsmasq.

• That seems to be the case, that he does not have a router. But, as Aaron stated, the dnsmasq plugin can achieve what he wants. Not recommended though.

• Maybe consider to run pfsense or ipcop in a VM on this system which runs ontop of OpenMediaVault.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!