Apple related problem - Copy / Move Files from local Computer to CIFS-SMB Share failed

• Good Morning in the Morning :)

i got a new problem... trying to copy / move Files from my local Macbook to any CIFS/SMB Share.
    When i try to do this, (mainly observed with bigger Files 1 GB > more) i got a message:

"File XXX could not copied, because it´s already in use" (but of cause it´s not). When i do
    it on the same computer using Windows as VM in Parallels it works perfectly.

Does anyone have the same problem ? Any idea how to fix that ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day @all.

Greetings from Germany

Andre

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    Kernel 4.19.0.0 bpo4 - amd64
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• Try to limit the smb protocol to smb2. Didnt have exactly this problem but slow and sometimes unrelieable connections with smb3 enabled.

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• Hi Tom,

i could a least give it try. Do you have a short howto for limiting the smb prot. ?

Thanks in advace

Andre

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• Hello Tom,

sorry for responding that late, but i first had to do some tests within the last days....

Ok, here my results:

I added this line into Extra-Otions and did some tests... SMB2 is definitely not working, because very slow and a lot of times it stopped the copy-job without any reason. So i changed it to "SMB3" and this is working perfectly !

@'all

who ever have the same problem i suggest to give it a try adding this line into extra-options using SMB3 (restart of the system is needed).

@Tom

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate that.

Thread can be closed !

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• To start the old smb you can also just go to your Finder, hit CMD+k and type in "smb:\\IP"

(restart of the system is needed).

Not neccesarrily - this should also do the trick:
    /System/Library/StartupItems/Samba/Samba restart

BTW - I do not recommend to change the things on your system. However I still use afp only since TimeMachine is using it.

AND - Thread solved ;)

• Thanks @WastlJ :)

I also use afp but just for running TimeMachine. As i also have some Windows Clients in the Network i decide to create CIFS for them and using them as well with my MAC. Whatever... it´s running now and i´m happy :)

Thanks again for your support and closing the Thread ;)

Greetings

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• We should not close this thread because:

I had the problem of slow samba speeds with smb3 (see my thread some days ago)

You have it other way round ... how fast is your samba? I do with smb2 close to 110mb/s which almost maxes out the connection. With more then one simulta transfers i max out the gbit connection with around 120.

With smb3 it was much more slower.

So: WHY???

And its still a little bit slower then with afp.

For me the question remains: Is the Debian7 smb / afp version modern enough?

(i did post comparsions between omv and freenas in my thread)

Tom

----

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use OSX and you can force OSX to use SMB1 stack if youre in mavericks. Try connecting to the share cmd+K and use the URL like this cifs://server/share You can test it, if you're satisfied with the behaviour you can default it with some config in OSX.

• Hello,

thanks, i will try it like described using: "cifs://server/share" actually i´m connected by using: "smb://server/share".

@tom_tav

Not sure if i could deliver correct values at the moment as i´m part of the beta seed program and using 10.10 already.

Greetings from Germany

Andre

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• just try the blackmagic speed test, would be interesting!

Which samba & netatalk versions are with 10.10beta?

Tom

----

• Offizieller Beitrag

just try the blackmagic speed test, would be interesting!

Which samba & netatalk versions are with 10.10beta?

I think apple ships with own custom SMB stack since lion or mountain lion, not related to the one developed by samba.org. As for netatalk I think they use AFP and I am not sure what version. As I understand netatalk is an implementation to work with AFP, so they are not related in mac os x.
    Rumours says Apple is going to dismiss AFP soon.

• LoL, no had not enough sleep. I meant debian, was thinking bsd so i ended up with 10.10 in my mind. Didnt relize that he was speaking about the client, osx ;) Now everything is clear :)

Tom

----

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!