Apple related problem - Copy / Move Files from local Computer to CIFS-SMB Share failed

• OMV 1.0
    • Resolved
    • Apple related problem - Copy / Move Files from local Computer to CIFS-SMB Share failed

Good Morning in the Morning :)

i got a new problem... trying to copy / move Files from my local Macbook to any CIFS/SMB Share.
      When i try to do this, (mainly observed with bigger Files 1 GB > more) i got a message:

"File XXX could not copied, because it´s already in use" (but of cause it´s not). When i do
      it on the same computer using Windows as VM in Parallels it works perfectly.

Does anyone have the same problem ? Any idea how to fix that ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day @all.

Greetings from Germany

Andre
      Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis
    • Hi Tom,

i could a least give it try. Do you have a short howto for limiting the smb prot. ?

Thanks in advace

Andre
      Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis
    • Hello Tom,

sorry for responding that late, but i first had to do some tests within the last days....

Ok, here my results:

I added this line into Extra-Otions and did some tests... SMB2 is definitely not working, because very slow and a lot of times it stopped the copy-job without any reason. So i changed it to "SMB3" and this is working perfectly !

@'all

who ever have the same problem i suggest to give it a try adding this line into extra-options using SMB3 (restart of the system is needed).

@Tom

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate that.

Thread can be closed !

OMV - Arrakis
    • To start the old smb you can also just go to your Finder, hit CMD+k and type in "smb:\\IP"

Sunseeker wrote:

(restart of the system is needed).

Not neccesarrily - this should also do the trick:
      /System/Library/StartupItems/Samba/Samba restart

BTW - I do not recommend to change the things on your system. However I still use afp only since TimeMachine is using it.

AND - Thread solved ;)
      OMV stoneburner | HP Microserver | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD for system | 4x 2TB in a RAID5
      OMV erasmus| Odroid XU4 | 5TB Data drive | 500GB Backup drive
    • Thanks @WastlJ :)

I also use afp but just for running TimeMachine. As i also have some Windows Clients in the Network i decide to create CIFS for them and using them as well with my MAC. Whatever... it´s running now and i´m happy :)

Thanks again for your support and closing the Thread ;)

Greetings

OMV - Arrakis
    • We should not close this thread because:

I had the problem of slow samba speeds with smb3 (see my thread some days ago)

You have it other way round ... how fast is your samba? I do with smb2 close to 110mb/s which almost maxes out the connection. With more then one simulta transfers i max out the gbit connection with around 120.

With smb3 it was much more slower.

So: WHY???

And its still a little bit slower then with afp.

For me the question remains: Is the Debian7 smb / afp version modern enough?

(i did post comparsions between omv and freenas in my thread)
      Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner
      HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner
    • Sunseeker wrote:

Good Morning in the Morning :)

i got a new problem... trying to copy / move Files from my local Macbook to any CIFS/SMB Share.
      When i try to do this, (mainly observed with bigger Files 1 GB > more) i got a message:

"File XXX could not copied, because it´s already in use" (but of cause it´s not). When i do
      it on the same computer using Windows as VM in Parallels it works perfectly.

Does anyone have the same problem ? Any idea how to fix that ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day @all.

Greetings from Germany

Andre

I use OSX and you can force OSX to use SMB1 stack if youre in mavericks. Try connecting to the share cmd+K and use the URL like this cifs://server/share You can test it, if you're satisfied with the behaviour you can default it with some config in OSX.
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server

The post was edited 1 time, last by subzero79 ().

• Hello,

thanks, i will try it like described using: "cifs://server/share" actually i´m connected by using: "smb://server/share".

@tom_tav

Not sure if i could deliver correct values at the moment as i´m part of the beta seed program and using 10.10 already.

Greetings from Germany

Andre

OMV - Arrakis
    • tom_tav wrote:

just try the blackmagic speed test, would be interesting!

Which samba & netatalk versions are with 10.10beta?

I think apple ships with own custom SMB stack since lion or mountain lion, not related to the one developed by samba.org. As for netatalk I think they use AFP and I am not sure what version. As I understand netatalk is an implementation to work with AFP, so they are not related in mac os x.
      Rumours says Apple is going to dismiss AFP soon.
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server