WebGUI very slow

• Hi !

I've met an issue since I upgraded my NAS from Sardaukar to Kralizec.

With Sardaukar (which uses Apache2), time to load the webGUI from internet was good (not to long for an upload of 120 Ko/s from the server ;) ).
    But since the upgrade to Kralizec (which use NginX instead of Apache), it became very long (up to 50 sec). I've not the problem in local, only from internet (adsl or 3g+ have same results).

Would you have an idea if it's normal for you ? I discover Nginx with the upgrade so I don't know how it works compared to apache.

Thanks for your precious help !

Raptor.

• Thanks to you to interest to my issue.

My CPU (an old P4 HT @3Ghz with 4Go of DDR 2 RAM) is more sought since the upgrade but never @100%

I checked processes and everything seems to be normal.

However I've discovered Nginx service started only when there was a request to load the GUI, maybe it's that what takes lot's of time to load ? Before apache was always run.

• hi raptor.

Can it be that the cpu you are using is a bit older than 2010 ? if so then this is a normal operating time

gr. steel

Cooler Master CM 690 III with 650 watt 80+ gold power supply
    AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    5 x 2 TB WesternDigital red harddrive in raid 5
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....
    don't be afraid of learning it can be fun

• Yes it's an older cpu, it launched in 2004 by Intel ^^ (Here you can read its description) but I don't understand why with apache, there was no problem when I used the GUI, and now with Nginx, it's very slow where it could be faster. And why I've no problem in local ? My CPU isn't more powerfull in local than in Internet ^^
    I don't believe it's the CPU fault

However, I will try with a VM of OMV 1.0.21 on my PC (i7 4770) to see if it's faster than my actual server with that old CPU. I will come back here to show you results.

• So it's pretty faster (by using H+ to connect to my OMV VM in HTTPS) than to connect to my prod server, maybe you're right steel2400 --> my CPU is the cause. I will try to install a kernel which uses PAE and i686 instructions to see if there is a difference.

• hi raptor.

Zitat

So it's pretty faster (by using H+ to connect to my OMV VM in HTTPS) than to connect to my prod server, maybe you're right steel2400 --> my CPU is the cause. I will try to install a kernel which uses PAE and i686 instructions to see if there is a difference.

Well you can try that it will make a bit of difference

Zitat

However, I will try with a VM of OMV 1.0.21 on my PC (i7 4770) to see if it's faster than my actual server with that old CPU. I will come back here to show you results.

this will be a lot faster i tried it out on my virtual box to (just to test out the cpu)

I am going to built my rig using a AMD A8-5600k 4 core processor that build is in the works my old one is using an AMD to but a 2 core AMD athlon +2 4400 its just not powerful enough.

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• I'm very surprised because when I've tried to install a pae kernel, I realized my OMV was a 64bits Debian (the habit certainly ^^) and my CPU is not normally capable to run 64 Bits OS :S Could it be the problem (knowing I've no issue in local) ??

Well I don't understand too why nginx, which should be more powerfull than apache, is so slow with my Nas build compared to apache before.

• Hi raptor

Zitat

I'm very surprised because when I've tried to install a pae kernel, I realized my OMV was a 64bits Debian (the habit certainly ^^) and my CPU is not normally capable to run 64 Bits OS Could it be the problem (knowing I've no issue in local) ??

This can be an issue but normally not if the processor is not able to run the 64 bit you will not get the OS installed on it so.
    But yes there is a but, nginx is more powerful than apache it will therefore tax the cpu more than wat apache will ever do this is do to the layout of the old cpu and cant be help't.

Do you have problems with read an writ to the system. And can you tel me the mb/s on that ?
    Also watt kind of memory do you have in it. this is fore testing so i can see your problem.

greats steel

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Offizieller Beitrag

nginx is more powerful than apache it will therefore tax the cpu more than wat apache will ever do

nginx isn't more powerful. It is faster because it is less bloated and simpler. apache will tax a cpu much more. nginx is noticeably faster that apache on a Raspberry Pi which is very slow compared to most desktop/server cpus made today.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• mm that is not watt i tested i used a 2 core processor and a 4 core with testing both apache and nginx and got some very conflicting results it can be that this is due to more parameters on raptors build that is way i ask't him about the rest of the system.
    the interest with me is way this is happening on is nginx OS but not apache.
    i am still in the phase of testing my self and i dont have a raspberry to test it on. I can test it on an old i3 from intell tho.

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Hi,

First off I would like to apologize this statement is not correct do to testing it.

Zitat

nginx is more powerful than apache it will therefore tax the cpu more than wat apache will ever do

Yes it is more powerful but is will not tax the cpu more just less.

nginx is capable to serve up to 10.000 static sites in one instance it still is having problems with translating php.
    Apache is less powerful then nginx but can handle more modules out of the box than nginx this can look like it is stressing the cpu more but it is not so. nginx can have problems with the modules
    so the waiting time can be longer.

greats steel

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

• Hi ! A lot of thank to you to interest to my problem !

To answer to steel2400, for more informations of my NAS build, it works with an Intel CPU Pentium 4 HT 3GHz (Prescott) / socket 775, with 4 Go of DDR2 RAM, and 2 sata HD (one for OS, one for datas).

About read & write operations, I've no problem, my NAS is connected to a 1Gb link (ethernet cat 5e) and the speed link is 60 MB/s of average.

Below, a screenshot of my system information (sorry, the GUI is in French ^^), and you can see my OS is a 64Bits with kernel 3.14-amd64 whereas my CPU could not support 64 Bits instructions 8| (cf ark.intel website) and there are only 3.18 Go of Ram usuable instead of 4Gb normally in a 64bits OS...

I repeat, I've no problem when I log myself to the GUI in local, so if it would be a power CPU issue, I should have the same slowness isn't it ?

PS : If you want, I've a Raspi, I can try to install OMV for Raspi and test if the problem is the same or not.

• Here you can see (I hope it will help you) 2 graphs of my NAS CPU usage, the first is by hours, and the second is by day :

1st graph

I've just logged to the WebGUI from Internet to download these graphs, and as you can see there was no CPU overloading during the time to load the webGUI.

2nd graph

The peak activity you can see (at Monday, 00.00am) corresponds to an extraction of some parts of a rar file (using pyload) which contained a bluray video file of size of 5GB.

• Hi raptor

your system looks good and is very capable to host OMV

Zitat

I repeat, I've no problem when I log myself to the GUI in local, so if it would be a power CPU issue, I should have the same slowness isn't it ?

yes you would have more problems with the use of your nas if that was the case.

fore comparing apache and nginx you can look at this youtube channel

Code
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetNT0-HgKs

to see this go to 30 min

Zitat

PS : If you want, I've a Raspi, I can try to install OMV for Raspi and test if the problem is the same or not.

testing is always good to see that watt you think is true or not ;)

greats steel

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von steel2400 ()

• not that i know of. It is possible to use nginx and apache at the same time so i am going to test this with OMV in a virtual environment .
    is it not possible to ad apache to the mix Solo0815 ? just wandering

gr. steel

AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!