Webdav Plugin for OMV 1.0

• Hi People

Firstly, I just wanted to say what an incredible job you all do and what a fantastic application OMV is. :):):)
    I use Windows Small Business Server Essentials for my small business (have been for a couple of years now) and I have been very impressed with OMV. I have been playing with OMV at home and am seriously thinking about dumping Windows SBS and moving to OMV.

A key plugin for me (and I am hoping others as well) is the Webdav Plugin. I have upgraded from 0.5 to 1.0 and after searching the forums etc, realised that the Webdav plugin for OMV 1.0 is not available. The Webdav plugin is brilliant at allowing remote access to shared folders and letting me work on files when I'm out of the office (without uploading and downloading). I can't live without it.

Any ideas on the timing for Webdav plugin for 1.0?? Is there a work around or alternative?

Cheers :)
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

The old plugin uses apache. But, you can use the nginx plugin for unauthenticated webdav by entering the following settings:

Directory: some directory
    Use root: true
    Use index: false

Extra options:

Code
    client_body_temp_path /tmp/webdav-client-tmp 1 2;
    create_full_put_path on;
    client_max_body_size 2g;

dav_access user:rw group:rw all:r;
    dav_methods PUT DELETE MKCOL COPY MOVE;
    dav_ext_methods PROPFIND OPTIONS;

As an alternative, I am pretty sure owncloud implements webdav. I will look into again though.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Aaron,
    Thanks for the quick response and the suggested alternatives / work arounds. I think you are right, owncloud provides access via webdav (I had a quick look at the owncloud documentation). So to ensure secure (authenticated) access - owncloud is preferable.

The ideal solution would be the webdav plug in :)

I understand that there is a lot going on. I mentioned earlier that OMv is a fantastic product and that the team here does a great job.

Question: there is the Donate tab on OMV. I would like to donate - who gets the funds? Are the donations distributed to the people that do the work on OMV?

Cheers
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

We still need to figure out how to get authenticated webdav working.

The donate tab goes to Volker.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi everyone
    I have found a way to get nginx webdav working with authentication.. well, its more of a work around.

The approach is based on restricting access to nginx using its auth basic directive.
    I got the clue from the nginx documentation - http://nginx.com/resources/admin-guide/restricting-access/

The approach modifies the “extra options” coding in the nginx plugin server window by inserting a directive requiring a user name and password to be entered in order to access the nginx server.

The summary steps I took are below.

• Installed nginx plugin
    • Enabled nginx plugin, added a new nginx server and inserted extra options coding provided by ryecoaaron – see earlier posting above.
    • Create a user and password file (filename = “.htpasswd”). This file contains the user names and passwords that will be referenced by the nginx server extra options coding (via nginx plugin setup). Note, that in order to create the .htpasswd file, you may need to download and install apache2-utils
    • Modify ngnix server setup extra options by adding auth_basic directive lines at the bottom of the extra options coding provided by ryecoaaron.

Detailed Steps / Descriptions

• Install nginx plugin via plugins section on OMV
    • Enable nginx plugin. Then add a new nginx server and insert the extra options outlined by ryecoaaron in the posting above.
    • Create username and password file “.htpasswd”

Firstly, check to see if you have apache2-utils installed as part of omv.

Do this by using the following command in a terminal (like Putty): which htpasswd

If you get an output like the one below, everything is fine - htpasswd is already installed. If the command returns without any output, htpasswd does not exist on your system, and you must install it with apache2-utils.

root@server1:~# which htpasswd
    /usr/bin/htpasswd
    root@server1:~#

Steps for downloading and installing apache2-utils:

• In a terminal, type the following command: apt-get install apache2-utils

Steps to create .htpassword file

• In a terminal, type the following command: htpasswd -c /etc/nginx/.htpasswd exampleuser

The tool will prompt you for a password.
    New password:
    Re-type new password:
    Adding password for user exampleuser

The structure of the .htpasswd file would be like this:
    login:password

Note: the –c option creates a new file. If the .htpasswd file already existed, the –c option will overwrite the file. To add a new user and password to an existing .htpasswd file, simply omit the –c option.

4. Modify ngnix server setup extra options

In the nginx plugin set up window (for the nginx server you have added), add the following two lines to the bottom of the extra options coding provided by ryecoaaron:

auth_basic "closed website";
    auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/.htpasswd;

To be clear, the extra options coding goes from:

create_full_put_path on;
    client_max_body_size 2g;

to

create_full_put_path on;
    client_max_body_size 2g;
    auth_basic "closed website";
    auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/.htpasswd;

make sure you save the configuration.

Additional Notes:
    Nginx Webdav Module does NOT support webdav functions LOCK and UNLOCK… (which I find annoying but hey.. this is better than nothing).

Useful web references

Hope this helps people that are after remote authenticated access to their files via webdav.

David

• Offizieller Beitrag

I will have to look at the webdav plugin again :) Nice work!

• I will have to look at the webdav plugin again :) Nice work!

I have to agree with DDR, OMV is amazing, I really appreciate the work that goes into it!

But I also use WebDav a great deal, especially on my iPhone.
    I know OwnCloud uses WebDav too, but I have compared and OC WebDav is just alot slower than the old WebDav plugin, it really would be great to have it back.

Also thanks to DDR for the work around, although it does seem very long winded.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a lot of plugins to work on but I am looking into Alaya to serve webdav. I really want something that can authenticate with pam so the user list in the OMV web interface works with webdav.

• I have a lot of plugins to work on but I am looking into Alaya to serve webdav. I really want something that can authenticate with pam so the user list in the OMV web interface works with webdav.

Any update for the WebDav plugin?
    Or are you focusing on other plugins first?

• Offizieller Beitrag

A couple of the other mods were working on pam auth with nginx. So, I was kind of waiting to see what they found. The alaya route is a lot of work and is something I don't use.

• A couple of the other mods were working on pam auth with nginx. So, I was kind of waiting to see what they found. The alaya route is a lot of work and is something I don't use.

Okay I see.
    Is there another thread where the mods are discussing progress?
    I'm very keen to see what they can come up with, WebDav was my most used feature, I use it daily via my iPhone to play music and films etc. (The OwnCloud app/WebDav just isn't fast enough)

Thanks for your great work!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The other thread has to do with the git plugin and it is in the developer forum. I was holding off on the alaya option because it didn't seem to help the git plugin. I was hoping we could find another solution but no luck yet. I will start looking into the alaya option a little more but I can't promise anything soon.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this with the new webdav plugin?

• No, yesterday it wasn´t.
    The test was with omv 1.0.29, omvextraorg 1.0.23 plugins -> mhddfs 1.0 & nginx 1.0.23

Now, i´ve actualizated OMV and i see :
    omv 1.0.31 and ...... pluging webdav 1.0.1 ¡great!. This afternoon i´ll probe it and i´ll report testing results.

Many thanks! Great JOB!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!