[(Feature)Suggestion] Import Users/Groups from System

• Hi,

while setting up Transmission (via omv-extras) I came across this, and as i dont know where to put it, I made this Thread.

In Transmssion it is possible to enter the desired download-folder (or share) but naturally the permissions must be set correctly (as stated inside the Plugin). I wanted to do this via OMV-Webgui but the gui only shows a few users and even fewer groups that are present on the system (I guess only users/groups created with the gui). I tried to import the group I needed because I thought the Import funtion is intended for importing system groups into OMV, but it just showed a error message that the group id was already in use (which is, of course, correct). So far I havent discovered any other method to get system groups into the gui. The rights-management in the gui is pretty nice so i would like to use it exclusively and prefer not to fiddle with both system-permissions(chown...) and omv-permissions(i guess some acl thing).

The Feature i would like to request is a third import/create option for users and groups that lets you choose a system user or group (etc/passwd,/etc/group) to import in the OMV-Gui.

• I know that i can create groups in the gui, thats not the problem. I guess my description was a bit too specific.

I was talking about adding groups that already exist in Debian eg. debian-transmission in the OMV-Gui so that I am able to use the gui to setup the rights for the shares.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know that i can create groups in the gui, thats not the problem.

I was talking about adding groups that already exist in Debian eg. debian-transmission in the OMV-Gui so that I am able to use the gui to setup the rights for the shares.

Yah, that was my mistake... That's what happens when you're
    1. Tired
    2. Post before reading an entire post.. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think a lot of people would screw up their systems if they could start altering privileges for system users...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thats why I would suggest an option in the dropdown for the add-button so you can decide for yourself which users/groups you want to have in the gui to mess around. I think it would be a nice addition for more experienced users because you dont need to fire up a console to change the ownership of a share to get a specific service (e.g. transmission, pyload, web,...) to work. And if Iam not mistaken, you can only alter the permissins for shared folders within the gui so you cant screw up that much.

This would also lead to easier solutions to those "Iam not able to download something with plugin xy" threads.

• This would also lead to easier solutions to those "Iam not able to download something with plugin xy" threads.

Those threads should get less if the plugins utitlize the users group. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thats why I would suggest an option in the dropdown for the add-button so you can decide for yourself which users/groups you want to have in the gui to mess around. I think it would be a nice addition for more experienced users because you dont need to fire up a console to change the ownership of a share to get a specific service (e.g. transmission, pyload, web,...) to work. And if Iam not mistaken, you can only alter the permissins for shared folders within the gui so you cant screw up that much.

This would also lead to easier solutions to those "Iam not able to download something with plugin xy" threads.

plus one to that :thumbup:

• What do I need to be able to set an existing system user (no home directory) as nginx pool owner?

Where does OMV store the information "this user was added by OMV"?

I want distinct users for each nginx website but they should be system users and should not have a home dir.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!