Shared folder is locked by a plugin

• Hi all,

I've found following issue.

I'm using OMV 1.0.22 with installed Virtualbox plugin.

I've just played with it by creating a shared folder on a USB stick. And it is the only non boot drive in the NAS. Then I've too USB stick out and tried to find a way to delete the shared folder. But this shared folder is still in use by the plugin and OMV doesn't give me rights to delete it. At the same time Vitrualbox plugin doesn't allows to unlock it.

I know that it looks like an issue of a plugin. Nevertheless I'd sugeest to extend plugin API and include there a option to force a unlock of shared foldes. It makes no sense to keep it because of "safity" as the folder doesn't exists (usb stick is out).

• You have to remove the shared folder from the respective service you shared it with first before you can remove the shared folder.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just disable virtualbox. That should "unlock" the shared folder. Or just plug the usb stick back in. I wouldn't put a vm on a usb stick either...

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well, disabling doesn't help. The folder remains with status "in use".
    Uninstalling of a plugin is helping.

As I said - I've used USB stick only for tests.

OFFTOP: Basically it is a bit sad that OMV doesn't allow to keep virtual maschines on the boot drive. My usecase is that I have OMV and an NVR software on virtualbox. For the boot drive I'm usinf 128 MB SSD which more that enough for OMV plus multiple virtual maschines. Data is stored on HDDs. Placing virtual maschines on HDDs doesn't makes sence IMHO.

So I'm thinkng now to install virtualbox not as a plugin but as a package directly into the debian host system...

• Offizieller Beitrag

This has come up LOTS of time. The idea is that if you system drive fails, you do not lose any data. If you are using a 128 mb ssd, that is very small :) If you are using a 128 GB ssd, you have two options:
    1 - Install Debian Wheezy, partition the drive how you want (small OS partition - 8 GB is plenty), and install OMV on top of that.
    2 - Install OMV, shrink the os partition with gparted live or sysresccd, create another partition for data.
    Either of these will allow you to put your virtual machine on the OS drive.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Or third, use symlinks like Tekkbebe suggested.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thanks all for suggestions.
    I'm interested about symlink solution, but could you please clarify how exactly the proposed solution can work?

PS
    If you are using a 128 mb ssd, that is very small
    Sure, it is GB :)

• I'm interested about symlink solution, but could you please clarify how exactly the proposed solution can work?

Sure. Delete the shared folder for the virtualmachines and reacreate it as a symlink to a real folder on your OS Disk. Done.

Greetings
    David

• Sure. Delete the shared folder for the virtualmachines and reacreate it as a symlink to a real folder on your OS Disk. Done.

Greetings
    David

So you are proposing to create a symlink on a HDD (which is accessable over OMV GUI) pointing to a folder on SSD. OK, thats looks feasible, thanks!

Can this solution somehow affect sleep mode of a HDD with such a link? I'm trying to figure out if there will not be a regual attempts by OMV/PlugIn to this symlink wich will not allow HDD to sleep...

• My guess would be that this prevents the HDD from sleeping...

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!