openmediavault-pxe first version now available for testing

• Regular pxe allows you download over http...

Source Code (5 lines)

Hi Ryecoaaron,

Thanks for correcting me on that. I had not played with loading files from http via tftp. I guess what I meant is that instead of placing the kernel and initrd files under tftp, I use tftp to chainload ipxe (undionly.kpxe intstead of pxelinux.0) and load the files from http. Sorry for the confusion. I should of been more clear about that.

• Shadowzero, im very interested, especcially in the http download. The sub menu is not the problem, but implementing it in the plugin is the problem for me.

Greetings
    David

Hi David,

Here some example settings I have from my PXE setup on another machine. What I did was break the menu into parts and include them where needed. 1st I made a config file that managed the colors, backround, etc..

I named this file stdmenu.cfg Next I made the menu config which is included from default.

Last I would create a new file for each item I wanted to add with the settings needed. Here is an example of Ubuntu 64 bit:

Well I hope that helps a little if any. :) I will keep testing the plugin. I updated to the new one released. No problems sofar! :thumbup: Thanks again for your hard work on this plugin.

• Thank you. Could you show 1-2 screenshots of how it looks?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'm thinking of a way on how we could have a centralized solution to offer pxe templates/images... Storage is not the problem, just how to package it and distribute it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I think I would start with a list of templates to consider. Maybe a poll of different distros for the community to decide what they would like to see. For example distros like Debian, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, etc. Next would be utilities such as memtest+86, gparted, sysrescuecd, clonezilla, etc. Then compile a list with pre-made templates. A user would then select from that list what they wish to add. Run a background job that will grab the necessary files needed and extract them. Copy the files needed to the tftp directory. Clean up the temporary files. The pre-made template will already have the correct paths and settings to boot from pxe. Add an option to include a custom install. The user will supply the needed settings just as the plugin works today but create a new template. Write it as a new file and include it into the menu as a custom option. It definitely sounds like a lot of work. I'll be happy to help make the pre-made templates and the file structure layout. My PHP coding on the other hand is a bit rusty. :whistling: I am sure I can help there too once I familiarize myself with developing plugins for OMV. Anyways, that's just my thoughts on how to approach this. I'll upload some screenshots soon. I'm in the process of integrating my settings from my old PXE server to the plugin. I'm looking forward on collaborating on this plugin. It will be fun to put this together and make it useful. :thumbup:

• Shadowzero, lets start to collect the templates (the config part for the vesamenu) in the Wiki for now. What do you think is better, gathering them per software and then collect all variants (tfpt, http, smb, nfs) there or gather them per tftp, http, nfs and smb?

I guess the first one is the better way.

The image should be packaged as a .tar.gz file and should directly include the perfect folder structure as it will be used in the pxe folder. The folders for the images should respect x32 and x64 respectively. We can store them on the server which already host the OpenMediaVault demo.

PS: Everything should be compatible with PXE and the config style should be vesamenu.

Greetings
    David

• @willri

Yes.. I have used Sprinrite many times over the years to repair and or recover data on hard drives that were unreadable or unbootable due to corruption of some sort or bad sectors on the hard drive... It has been a life saver a few times... Several times I have had to come up with some creative ways to use it due to a system not having a CD/DVD drive and that could not boot from USB either.. That's why I wanted to find a way to PXE boot It as well as other great tools I use... And I have tested Sprinrite to make sure it boots over PXE and runs on my own system... Everything worked great...

• I agree David. Let's go with your 1st option. Let me know when you would like to get started and what you would like me to start with.

• For starters every pxe software you got setup with the correspondet kernel and system settings?

Once my C1 finally runs i need to update my pxe files, than i can create some prepackaged pxe files, you can prep some too, just need to figure out a way to allow you to upload them.

Greetings
    David

• OK sounds good to me. I can also post them to Google Drive or MS One Drive and share them with you that way if that works for you. In the meantime I will start creating tar.gz files to get ready to send to you.

• Nice work David.
    Started working with this yesterday, the PXE plugin works well and I was able to boot various items.

I have an issue with the dnsmasq plugin that when it is enabled I loose connection to the outside world. I did see that this was a known issue with this plugin and it was going to be looked at. Is there a way to enable the plugin and not loose connection?

[align=center]banner@1x.jpg
    What I am watching/watched on my Popcorn Hour media player
    omv 2.1.1 stoneburner | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 1.29
    MySQL (Percona[size=8]) | Newznab | Sonarr | CP | HP | NZBget | YAMJ | CUPS

• I can also post them to Google Drive or MS One Drive and share them with you that way if that works for you.

Can I wget that location? If so, yes thats awesome then.

In the meantime I will start creating tar.gz files to get ready to send to you.

:) Awesome

Nice work David.
    Started working with this yesterday, the PXE plugin works well and I was able to boot various items.

Thank you. If I would have better knowledge/documentation/introduction to all the plugin stuff I could implement even more :(

I have an issue with the dnsmasq plugin that when it is enabled I loose connection to the outside world. I did see that this was a known issue with this plugin and it was going to be looked at. Is there a way to enable the plugin and not loose connection?

Get on Threema... :P

Greetings
    David

• Ok... I have found out from experience that PXE booting most Live Linux CD/DVD's the Memdisk way is not the way to go... Unless the ISO image is small... The Memdisk method takes to long to load the ISO image and then it requires more than twice the amount of ram that it would take to boot the actual CD/DVD or boot via a Live USB... Live ISO images of things like DBAN, Parted Magic, Puppy Linux, SpinRite, Windows WinPE repair Disc, etc, etc, are fine due the small size of the ISO's... So unless the system your are PXE Booting with has loads of memory, or the ISO images you want to boot are fairly small, booting via memdisk is not a good solution...

• We will try to offer multiple booting methods, not just TFTP Boot.

Greetings
    David

• Example entry in the wiki for gparted:

http://wiki.openmediavault.org…Templates/GParted#GParted

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

If your running openwrt you can indicate the dhcp boot server to redirect to.

uci set dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].dhcp_boot=pxelinux.0,,10.10.10.12
    uci commit
    /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

For tomato i'll have to take a look at my old router

edit: This are the txt entries
    Clonezilla

Code
    kernel clonezilla/vmlinuz
    Append initrd=clonezilla/initrd.img boot=live config noswap edd=on nomodeset vga=788 nosplash noprompt union=aufs netboot=nfs nfsroot=10.10.10.12:/export/tftp/clonezilla

SystemRescueCD

Code
    Systemrescuecd
    kernel systemrescuecd/rescue64
    Append initrd=systemrescuecd/initram.igz nfsboot=10.10.10.12:/export/tftp/systemrescuecd
  • David,

I'm cleaning up my pxe environment to bring it more up to date. I had some entries that were outdated. I'm also testing them out to make sure all the paths are correct. I should be done in a few days. I'll message back in when it's ready. I'll also check to see if you can grab the files from my google drive using wget. From what I read it is possible. I just need to iron it out to make sure the link will work so you will be able to download it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!