openmediavault-pxe first version now available for testing

• The first version of the pxe plugin is now available in the sardaukar testing repo.

Please report back any bugs you find, or if you have any further questions on the plugin, post them here.

Available images as of 2015/03/03

Verified by myself that they run into the menu, if you have nfs (where neccessary) setup and edited the config to reflect your local settings:

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• If I want to install openmediavault-pxe with: apt-get install openmediavault-pxe then I get this:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
    openmediavault-pxe : Hängt ab von: openmediavault-dnsmasq ist aber nicht installierbar
    E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.

What can I do?

N40L / 8TB / RAID 1+0 on HP P212/256 / OMV 1.1

• Edit: My fault, will be fixed later this night. The pxe plugin depends on dnsmasq but this plugin is not yet in a public repo.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• Hi,

PXE Boot works good, BUT:

PXE is a little bit oldschool, nowadays it would be nice to have the possibility to also configure and use UEFI Network Boot additionally to PXE in PXE Plugin.

Just like the first option mentioned here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/PXE-netboot-install

but in secure-boot style like this:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/UEFI/SecureBoot-PXE-IPv6

So there should be an additional configuration tab for the entries in grub.cfg and the
    following Note for configuration of dnsmasq:

dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0
    dhcp-match=set:efi-x86_64,option:client-arch,7
    dhcp-boot=tag:efi-x86_64,bootx64.efi

maybe even a usable shim as bootx64.efi and grubnetx64 as grubx64.efi in TFTP-root with a sample config in /grub and unicode.pf2 in /grub/fonts would also be nice

thanks in advance

Gammelobst

• Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitly look at it, but it will take some time so please be patient.

Greetings
    David

• Hi,

after testing around a bit, i found an error in "/usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/pxe".
    In line 27 it is: "PXE_CONFIG="${PXE_PATH}pxelinux.cfg/default", but it shoud be "PXE_CONFIG="${PXE_PATH}/pxelinux.cfg/default" so the config is generated is pxe/pxelinux.cfg and not pxepxelinux.cfg...

pls fix this little typo ;)

cya

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is probably because you manually changed the path in the shared folder and didnt include a trailing slash. We can still add a slash because two slashes won't affect anything. That must be an older version because it is already fixed on github. I will release a new plugin.

edit - 1.0.2 in repo.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Yup, that error was fixed weeks ago, but I left it on github only to be verified first. Thanks to aaron for packaging it now.

Greetings
    David

• Hello,

thanks, but it wasn't applied during the mentioned update - but solved for me so it's ok.

It would be nice to have the possibility to set a default timeout via the WebIF. I use pxe /uefi network boot as primary boot option on all of my machines (exept the OMV-box) and so it is not so good to see the Network-Boot-Menu forever until i press enter.

And for the UEFI Network Boot:

- Place http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubun…ent/grubnetx64.efi.signed in tftp-root
    - create a directory named grub
    - place your grub.cfg in this dir

cya

• I barely find time at the moment to concentrate on Features for OpenMediaVault, couldn't even test my own suggestion for Private Key Authentication, yet. Also, I'm not the fastest and best coder there... But when I will find some time I will definitly look at the timeout feature, this should be no biggie.

For UEFI Stuff: I need to read into it first, like I did into PXE. Before I don't understand it I can't implement it. But, everybody else is free to contribute to the code on Github, just leave some comments when you add stuff so I know what it does. ;)

Greetings
    David

• I just installed this plugin on my OMV v1.9 server because I have a few things I would like to be able to PXE boot Such as PartedMagic, Windows 7/8 Repair Disc, Favorite Linux Live CD/DVD of choice.. etc. etc... but I am not sure what I need to to to configure it for each of these options I want to boot... I have setup NFS and TFTP.. I have created 3 NFS Shares (PXE, ISO, and OS) as suggested in a tutorial I tried to follow from another site before I found this plugin... I have set the TFTP shared folder to PXE... I have copied a few ISO files into the ISO share (pmagic_2013_11_11.iso, Windows7RepairDisc64-bit.iso), but i don't know where to go from here or what I need to put in the Entries section of the PXE Plugin... Can anyone offer some help..?

Thanks in advance...

• bryan, poke me tomorrow please, so that I don't forget about it. I will show you the basics on setting it up so you get it running. But I can say upfront: I don't use iso the iso images...

Also I didnt find time to work on the requested features yet... :(

Greetings
    David

• Ok... Thanks... Any help would be much appreciated... Although I don't remember requesting any features..? Just some help in setting up a PXE Server on OMV... This is my 1st time experimenting with a PXE environment... I am not exactly a Linux Newbie, but I am also by fare no Linux expert either... I love playing around with Linux and I have been running my own Linux NAS server for about 7 or 8 years now.. Started with FreeNAS, then Ubuntu Server with Webmin, and now OMV for the past few years... I have also used several different Linux Firewall Distros over the years and am currently running SOPHOS UTM Free Home Use Firewall on my home network...

• The feature thing wasn't targeted at you, sorry. ;)

Greetings
    David

• Hi David,

I have played around with the PXE plugin and the general setup works just fine. If you would like some advice on setting up advanced menus for PXE I will be glad to send you some example files. I personally use iPXE these days as it offers more options such as downloading via http rather than tftp. If you would like, I would be more than hapy to help the OMV community with the PXE plugin as far as setting things such as sub menus, background images, and colors etc. The configs I have are pretty basic without setting a lot of variables. Let me know if your interested.

• Shadowzero, im very interested, especcially in the http download. The sub menu is not the problem, but implementing it in the plugin is the problem for me.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Regular pxe allows you download over http...

Code
    LABEL rescue32
    MENU LABEL SystemRescueCD 32 bit (HTTP)
    LINUX sysrescd/rescue32
    INITRD sysrescd/initram.igz
    APPEND nomodeset netboot=http://192.168.1.15/sysrcd.dat setkmap=us rootpass=openmediavault

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• New version released (once aaron puts in into repo) which automatically sets the timeout for default boot to 10 seconds.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the repo now.

• David,

I have been doing some more research and I think I have what I wanted to do figured out... I was able to boot all my ISO's I have tested so far with no problems... (Parted Magic, Acronis True Image boot media, Windows 7 Repair Disc, and Spinrite)... I found out how to PXE boot the ISO images using Syslinux Memdisk as the kernal and the options I needed to put in Append box...

I placed a copy of memdisk in the PXE share folder...
    I uploaded All the iso images into their own sub folders in the PXE share...
    I filled in the appropriate info for each entry in the Add Entry screen..

Example of the Add Entry Screen for Parted Magic...
    LABEL: pmagic
    MENU: Parted Magic
    KERNEL: memdisk
    APPEND: iso initrd=/pmagic/pmagic_2013_11_11.iso

I then made sure that my SOPHOS UTM DHCP Server settings were set correctly for the tftp boot file and next-server.. Rebooted my computer with the Network Boot option from the BIOS boot menu and in just a few seconds I was presented with a list of ISO's I could boot from...
    I tested each one and they all worked... Hurray... I'm proud of my self... This setup will come in handy in my computer repair business I run from home... Now to find more good images to ad to the list...

Thanks for this great plugin...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!