Moving to OpenMediaVault

• If this isn't the right place to ask this please move it or i will just re post it in the right sub. I would like to move to openmediavault. The only thing is my data. My data is on a LVM that span's 4 hd's. Can i just install openmediavault to the system drive then just remount the LVM and setup the smb shares? I can provide more info if needed.

• Yes, you can and I have done it with LVM from Fedora.

Funny you should say from Fedora. Becouse thats what im running 8o . I was looking up how to move a LVM from one sever to another and they gave me 2 commands for exporting and importing a lvm. is there any need ? From what i can tell its only so that prevents it from being accessed on the old system.

• Was putting my data in a LVM a good move? I wanted something that i could add drives to and if i wanted to change the os and not mess with my data. And by move os i dont mean windows ewww lol.

• I used to use LVM. I did it by the book. Exported and then imported. After my first pvreduce I decided not to use it anymore. It was so slow. I just use multiple drives and use symlinks to folders on the main data drive, for like movie folders on the other data drives. Lots of people have problems with raid and the current larger drives are not the most reliable. I backup whole data drives to another server. If you want to use all drives together without LVM you can look at the AUFS plugin.

PS- I had issue on getting LVM to show in OMV because of volume group name, maybe lv name too. OMV likes really simple names for those, If you have issue you may have to change names.
    PPS- I used this for commands I needed. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!