Password protected

• Ok i have a new problem on my hands where i simply cant get my finger on.

The case:
    I have installed OMV 0.3.1, setup SMB with shares. When i went to my network folder on windows i could open OMV there and view all my SMB shares no sweat. Now i have updated the installation to 0.4.2 now when i want to open OMV in my network folder its asking for a username and password??

I didnt change anything to my SMB configuration and i have tried numerous of things to get it off but i simply cant..
    Things i have trieed:

* Allow Null passwords
    * Rewritten all the permissions on the shares
    * Removed all the shares and readded them
    * shutdown SMB and restarted it
    * Restarted OMV
    * Shutdown OMV and restarted it
    * Restarded my own PC
    * Tryed from a second pc at home

All this to no avail im afraid so who can help me out here?

• How are you accessing the shared directory? Browsing with explorer or writting the location? Are you using links?

Take a look to samba logs and check if there is any authentication error.

• Here is the same problem...
    i have updated many times to the newest version but all works
    i restarted the system and now i can only access with users not with guest

here my config:

• Ok i have setup a new system and have found something that might be reproduceable!

When adding the folders for sharring everything is fine i can access all my shares!
    When i add one directory thats not public my total smb starts to asking for a password! So it seems that something goes wrong when adding that directory.
    Reverting this (making the share public) does not resolve the problem!

• Access to SMB without password works as long as I've created no user.

Once I create user xyz, when accessing a user password prompt is

Sorry my english is not the best

• I second that!

Removing the users in the dasboard makes smb react normal. So no password prompt while opening OMV via the network.
    Recreating the user results in SMB locking up again!

• I am having the same problem (0.4.6). Has this been verified? Is this a (generic) Samba problem, or an OMV problem?

What I'd need is a few folders publicly available (pictures, videos, music) and a couple of shares accessible to only specific users (password protected). But it looks to me that accessing any share without password requires no user set up. Can anyone confirm who knows this stuff?

• People, this is exactly the same problem as described in: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=137

You can do a quick fix by appending "nobody" user to "valid users = ..." and "write list = ..."

So in case Wired Life this should be like:

Code
    valid users = oli,bernd,vuplus,nobody
    write list = oli,vuplus,nobody

then either run "service samba restart" or just reboot the system and guest users will now be able to read and write to a given share. This fix, however, will be overwritten if you change any Samba settings via UI.

The programmatic fix to this bug is also described in the above mentioned thread. I just hope Volker can notice my posts and make a fix. There's not much to the logic change and should be a quick implementation.

• Actually, here is another more permanent, but still an ugly fix:
    For shares that you want to remain public, go to SMB/CIFS, then Edit the required share and add these two lines in the Extra Options field (for each share):

Code
    valid users =
    write list =
  • Zitat von "TomMuh"

Access to SMB without password works as long as I've created no user.

Once I create user xyz, when accessing a user password prompt is

Sorry my english is not the best

This is exactly what I found out after so many hours trying!

Very frustrated!!! Can't linux/Debrian implement a better SAMBA code to do such simple requirement? Too many options! Too many override rules!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!