Possible Greyhole Permissions Problems

• Hello,

Problem: Plex doesn't see my files (I know the title doesn't match this issue, let me explain)

Long back story:
    Last week I decided I would take the plunge and upgrade from OMV 0.5 to OMV 1.0. The guide said to do omv-release-upgrade. Fear realized, it crashed my system, it wouldn't startup. I had a backup for 0.5 but because it's complicated and I'm not very good with linux, I decided just to do a fresh install. Fresh install went well. I recreated all my shares in OMV with the folders that already existed on the drives and just plugged back in my greyhole directories, unchanged. It all worked. I could open/copy/delete/move files via smb no problem.

Then I installed the Plex plugin and it simply will not recognize my media files in the greyhole pool (BTW, it worked perfectly in 0.5). I checked the scanning log and it says permission denied on each file. I have tried every permissions trick I can find on the forums to get plex access so it can read my files. The whole privileges/ACL thing is confusing to me and I don't know how to perform chmod commands well in command line.

I now have a fresh install again and I think the next step is to delete the greyhole shares. Move all the files to a new directory that I create in this OMV 1.0 instance and recreate the samba shares and the greyhole directories.

Am I on the right track? Quite honestly, I feel like I'm losing my mind. ?(

• A little frustrating that no one replied to this. But I guess that's understandable, the whole issue was probably complicated and I don't think I explained it well. If anybody in the future has the same issue. I ended up deleting the greyhole shares which copies all the actually files back to the landing data drive they started from. Needless to say, for 2TB that took a while. Then I completely reinstalled OMV 1.0 from disc.

But in the end that had nothing to do with it. It was simply a permissions issue. Looks like Plex likes to have "Others" have Read/Execute privileges. Don't exactly like "Others" having execute privileges (don't even know what that is) I would assume because of the title it means others can "Execute" commands. Sounds insecure, but Plex won't see my files with out it, so be it.

It saddens me to say, but the whole permissions issue with OMV 1.0 is a nightmare. I remember setting my permissions once in 0.5 and never having to touch it again. In 1.0 I have to play around with privileges/ACL every time I install another plugin. Rightnow, I have plex working, I have transmission working, I have greyhole working, but my users can't see files via smb, so back to privileges/ACL. I'm sure I'll bork something and have to reinstall again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It saddens me to say, but the whole permissions issue with OMV 1.0 is a nightmare. I remember setting my permissions once in 0.5 and never having to touch it again. In 1.0 I have to play around with privileges/ACL every time I install another plugin.

I have never had to play around with permissions on 1.0. Upgrading from 0.5 to 1.0 is a big change (distro and OMV). That can cause issues. A fresh install with old data can also cause permission issues because of different user IDs.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron, unfortuately, for me that's the problem, you're a developer and have made some amazing plugins, you probably don't even need to use the web gui most of the time. You understand linux and permissions a whole lot better than I do.

I tried to avoid using ACL. I've read on various posts to not use ACL. However, smb won't even show my user the file structure without a check in ACL privileges. Anyways, I'll keep plugging away, I haven't given up on OMV yet. I just wish the webgui was a little more intuitive in this regard.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I try to use the web interface most of the time. Helps me make the plugins better. It is hard to make the web interface any simpler without taking flexibility away.

I don't use ACLs. When permissions are messed up, there are two commands that can generally fix them - chmod and chown

chmod is chmod the read and write permissions (and execute but that bit is disabled on shared folders - so we will ignore it).

chmod -R 664 /media/longuuid/sharedfolder1
    chmod 664 /media/longuuid/sharedfolder1/dumb_movie.mp4
    -R means recurse subdirectories set everything to this number. Can be dangerous though. Leave it out to do single actions
    6 means read/write
    4 means read
    The first number is the owner. The second number is anyone in the same group (usually the users group). The third number is everyone else.
    If you want yourself to read/write a file, make the first number a 6
    If you other users to read/write a file, make the second number a 6. For read only, make it a 4
    The last number usually is a 4

chown -R talvasta:users /media/longuuid/sharedfolder1
    chown talvasta:users /media/longuuid/sharedfolder1/dumb_movie.mp4

talvasta is the owner
    users is the group

Hope that makes a little sense.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!