Wake on Lan not working

• I'm desperate. First of all, I'm no Linux-Expert. I installed OMV 0.6 and except some troubles with the NIC driver in the beginning, everything worked as expected.

But after upgrading to OMV 1.0 I can't get WOL to work.

I tried every possible solution I could find but nothing worked.

Motherboard and NIC: ASROCK Z87E-ITX with Intel NIC I217-V

WOL in Bios is activated, WOL in Openmediavault Network Interfaces is enabled. MAC Address is right.

What I tried so far

- Updated nic drivers to newest version (http://downloadmirror.intel.co…eng/e1000e-3.1.0.2.tar.gz)
    - Deactivated Deep Sleep in bios
    - CMOS reset
    - Installed Backports Kernel through OMV Extras

Code
    /etc/network/interfaces
    added:
    pre-up ethtool -s $IFACE wol g
    up ethtool -s $IFACE wol g

I tried both commands with $IFACE variable and eth0

Code
    /etc/init.d/halt
    NETDOWN=no

Code
    /etc/rc.local
    added:
    /sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Of course I rebooted after every change I made, then shutdown and tried to wake up again. Nothing works.

I really hope someone can help me.

• What do you mean by live system?

I can wake up my Intel NUC and my PC using an Android App in my LAN, but not the NAS with OMV. The NUC is supposed to wake up the NAS as it starts, but that's not working anymore. (Neither is the App or using a Tool called "WakeOnLan" on PC)

• Offizieller Beitrag

In your powered on omv issue the following command in the shell

tcpdump -i eth0 'port 9' -vvv

Then from a linux or windows machine inside your lan fire the magic packet
    You should see something like this in the tcpdump command

Code
    17:10:31.040415 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 63545, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 130)
        mbp.lan.56600 > 255.255.255.255.discard: [udp sum ok] UDP, length 102
  • Got the same result as you:

Code
    tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535 bytes
    22:54:59.941388 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 128, id 2261, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 130)
        mypc.discard > 255.255.255.255.discard: [udp sum ok] UDP, length 102
  • Sorry somehow forgot about the thread.

I did install the 3.14 Backports Kernel as mentioned, but didnt notice there was a newer kernel available.

I installed 3.16 and now it's working like a charm. Still curious why it wasn't working but on the other hand I'm happy I can use the WOL feature again.

• Still curious why it wasn't working but on the other hand I'm happy I can use the WOL feature again.

Maybe the new Kernel has new/better/other drivers for your NIC

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!