Dropbox in OMV 1.0

• I've found in the forum some posts about Dropbox but they are very old.
    I want to install Dropbox to sync some shared folders created in OMV.
    Is there a guide?
    Is it possible to keep active more Dropbox accounts?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:
    ==============
    1 USB Stick Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (USB 3.0 90MB/s Read - 30MB/s Write)
    2 HDD WD Blue 320GB RAID2
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• I've found in the forum some posts about Dropbox but they are very old.
    I want to install Dropbox to sync some shared folders created in OMV.
    Is there a guide?
    Is it possible to keep active more Dropbox accounts?

Hi,

AFAIK, Dropbox does also provide a WebDAV interface so it should be possible to use the WebDAV extension of the openmediavault-remoteshare plugin for this. You can add several share entries if you have multiple accounts. I do the same with two box.net accounts.
    Btw, I added the extension to ryecoaarons remoteshare plugin so don't hesitate to fire any questions at me or let me know if it does not work with Dropbox so maybe I can fix that.

OMV 2.x - Kralizec // Hardware: HP Microserver N54L, 4GB RAM, 2x3TB WD Red - RAID 1, Sandisk SSD 60GB for system

• AFAIK, Dropbox does also provide a WebDAV interface...
    . I do the same with two box.net accounts.
    Btw, I added the extension to ryecoaarons remoteshare plugin so don't hesitate to fire any questions at me or let me know if it does not work with Dropbox so maybe I can fix that.

What is the WebDAV URL?
    http : // dropbox.com ?

The Shared Folder is where the plugin will copy the files or is a "link" to DropBox?

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von whitetiger ()

• What is the WebDAV URL?
    http : // dropbox.com ?

The Shared Folder is where the plugin will copy the files or is a "link" to DropBox?

Oops! I did a quick search on Google and it seems that Dropbox does not offer webdav access. You could use dropdav which is an external service offering exactly this access but that costs 5$/month.:-(
    Sorry for the wrong information I posted. I always had the impression that Dropbox also is available via webdav :(

Regarding your question: the webdav url is mounted at the directory of the shared folder and can be used by any other service in OMV (e.g. rsync, ...)

OMV 2.x - Kralizec // Hardware: HP Microserver N54L, 4GB RAM, 2x3TB WD Red - RAID 1, Sandisk SSD 60GB for system

• Regarding your question: the webdav url is mounted at the directory of the shared folder and can be used by any other service in OMV (e.g. rsync, ...)

Ok,I'll search for another solution.

Instead regarding WebDAV I don't understand if I see the files into OMV or in the remote Internet service.
    It's an important difference.

If the files are into a OMV folder I can save a large file in few seconds, also without Internet connection.
    Then some OMV service copy this in the remote folder.

If the WebDAV plugin only shows the remote folder, then when I save a large file it is need a large amount of time to copy this in Internet and without connection this is impossible.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• I resume the thread after searching on Internet.

Dropbox allows installation on a server.
    https://www.dropbox.com/en/install?os=lnx

Code
    cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -
    Next, run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder.
    ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

With the last command then appears a message that says to launch a url like this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link?host_id=exadecimalstring
    So, in the browser I can login with an account and this will be linked to server.

What is the problem?
    That this procedure create the Dropbox folder in the home folder, but there are not Linux user in the OMV server. Only "root" and his home folder is "/root" (I'm not able to login in the CLI as admin. I receive the message "Access denied").

To link Dropbox to a OMV shared folder I should create a symlink like for example: ln -s /media/esastring-omv-volumes/sharedfoldername/Dropbox /root/
    In other words, if Dropbox link the folder ~/Dropbox and in OVM I have to use the Shared Folder named "Folder1" in /media/esastring-omv-volumes/Folder1 which is the correct command to make the right symlink?

Is there a manner to link a shared folder in the CLI without to use the esadecimal string?
    The volumes have a name.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• *yay* proprietary software running as root *yay*

That this procedure create the Dropbox folder in the home folder, but there are not Linux user in the OMV server. Only "root" and his home folder is "/root" (I'm not able to login in the CLI as admin. I receive the message "Access denied").

Why... Why would you login with admin? Create a user in the webinterface, maybe give him ssh access and assign him a home folder (via CLI). Then you can do that stuff with an unpriviliged user...

which is the correct command to make the right symlink?

You already posted it above yourself.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Why... Why would you login with admin? Create a user in the webinterface, maybe give him ssh access and assign him a home folder (via CLI). Then you can do that stuff with an unpriviliged user...
    David

I've opened a second thread thinking that there was a second problem.
    The thread is
    Rights on Shared Folder. Permission Denied in CLI

AS you can read I've created a user in OMV, but then I'm not able to start the script because OMV mounts fle system with "noexec"

So, Dropbox already offers the solution, but the problem is "How the run the script in OMV for Dropbox installation?"
    I think that once the script is finished, then Dropbox will not be launched from the Home Folder

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Something like that is not supported with OpenMediaVault. Thats why I said you need to assigne the home folder via CLI so that it lies on the OS Disk instead of the Data Disk.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Something like that is not supported with OpenMediaVault. Thats why I said you need to assigne the home folder via CLI so that it lies on the OS Disk instead of the Data Disk.

Sorry David, but apparently I am not able to clarify well the problem.
    I need several shared folders with different rights for different users.
    For all this there is OMV.

I need also to feed these folders from Internet.
    For this there is the Dropbox service.
    We have only to associate the shared folders with the Dropbox accounts.

Usually, in a PC, Dropbox start from USR folder when the user login in his desktop manager.
    From here he can also to change the default dropbox folder, from /home/Dropbox to /"SomeFolderPath"/Dropbox.

So, in OMV, the problem is only how to manage the Dropbox installation because from CLI this start only from the initial home folder and in OMV this is set as "noexec".
    We should launch the installation script from another folder indicating what should be the target folders.
    At this point, all we have to do is launch (with CRON?) the command "dropbox start" with the profile information associated with it.

A plugin would help a lot, but I think that it is enough to understand how to run the setup command from the CLI in OMV.
    The alternative is to install in the OMV server also LXDE, for example, and from here to start the Dropbox installation, but I wanted to avoid weighing the server with X windows and LXDE.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• </p>

<p>So, in OMV, the problem is only how to manage the Dropbox installation because from CLI this start only from the initial home folder and in OMV this is set as &quot;noexec&quot;.

</p>

As I said, to avoid that you would have to assign a home folder on the os partition via CLI. Then it would be "exe" instead of noexec. But you should rather ask in the dropbox forums how to properly change the folder that dropbox shares.

Greetings

David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!