[Solved] Server not accessible after fresh installation

• Hi!

My problem is the following: After a fresh installation of open media vault version 1.0, which worked out fine, the server ist not accessable. That means the server does not appear in my network environment.
    Normally after the installation there should be an ip shown on the monitor. That was not the case for me. I looked up the devices connected to the router through the router interface and for a few seconds after the installation there was an unknown device but it disappeared and the shown ip was not reachable.
    After that I rebooted the server several times and scanned the network with nmap to see if the ip of the server changed. No success. The strange thing is that during the installation the connection to the router and internet was fine but after the installation and the reboot it did not work anymore.
    The Network structure is the following:

NAS --------- Switch -------------------- Router ---------------- PC
    Laptop ----------//
    Bluray-Player --/

The network connection of the other devices is fine.

I hope somebody can help me! Every suggestion is appreciated! ( answers can be written in English or German )

Jaster

My NAS System:
    Asrock H87M Pro4, Intel G3420, 8GB GeIl RAM, 300w power supply,
    Kingston S200 SSD 30 GB, 3TB WD Red

• Login locally to your machine and execute omv-firstaid. There you can try to configure your network again. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tekkb ()

• First of all thanks for the help! Secondly sorry for the late reply!

So I wanted to try your advice, but unfortunately I wasn´t even able to log me in. After the bootup there was just a blackscreen shown with a flashing minus at the top left. I wasn´t able to type anything in. I rebooted several times but everytime the same. So I decided to do a complete reinstall. I wiped out the complete hard drive with Parted Magic und reinstalled OMV. The installation proceeded without any problems and the connection to the internet and homenetwork was fine. But after the reboot at the end of the installation I had the same Problem again and the server wasn´t shown in the network environment anymore. It is a mystery to me! ?(

I hope you are not angry with me because the reply comes so late. :/

Jaster

My NAS System:

• Good Question! It seems to boot because it´s not just loading the bios but otherwise it´s just showing this black screen and the server is not accessible. So it seems like the bootup failed somehow.
    Thanks for the link I think I will try that out tomorrow.

Jaster

My NAS System:

• Does it drop to blinking cursor after you see the grub menu or is the grub menu not shown at all?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Then grub wasnt installed to your os disk. From what are you trying to install? USB Stick?

Greetings
    David

• Yes I installed it from a USB-Stick. The boot-stick was created with Universal-USB-Installer.

Jaster

My NAS System:

• It probably installed grub to the usb stick then, we had this bug before. Can you try to install with a cd instead?

Greetings
    David

• Ok I think now the problem gets a cause. I think you are right with the suggestion that grub was installed to the USB-Stick because after the first install I tried it a second time. I plugged in the Boot-stick with Openmediavault to start a reinstall and got a grub error ( I think it was: "unknown filesystem"). I thought the bootstick was somehow broken actually maybe the grub loader was installed to the boot-stick.
    Installing OMV via CD could maybe solve this problem but I don´t have a drive left. I mean I have one but it does not even have a SATA-connector. Maybe I will remove the drive from my PC to use it temporarily.

thankful for your help

Jaster

My NAS System:

• Good News!!
    I used the drive from my PC and was able to successfully install OMV!! :D
    I thank you very much for your help! :thumbup: You can´t imagine how happy I am to have a functional Server!

In Addition I think I found the reason for this bug. When I tried to install OMV via CD the first time I forgot the 3TB Data Disk in the hot-swap-case. I noticed this during the installation when I was supposed to choose the OS-disk. I selected the right one and continued. But I also noticed that the 3 TB disk was "sda" and the 1 TB disk I wanted to choose was "sdb". This got interesting when it came to the grub installation because the installer tried to install grub to the 3 TB disk alias "sda" and failed. In this moment I remembered that the bootstick which I used before was as well identified as "sda".
    So in conclusion I think the reason for this bug was that the installer always installed grub to "sda" no matter if this was the OS-disk
    I don´t know if this was just the case for me but if this is a bug in the installer this can be maybe fixed.

overgrateful

Jaster

My NAS System:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!