Which Mailserver

• Hi,

I´d like to run an IMAP Server on my OMV 1.
    I just want to archive my mails on it. Clients will be thunderbird and K9-Mail (Android). It is not necessary that the server sends mails to other servers. Just IMAP with my clients. The mails should reside in plaintext in the users home-dirs.

Unfortunately i am a noob considering mails-servers.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

The offlineimap plugin may do what you want. It syncs your email and lets you choose the shared folder where it is stored. I haven't got much feedback on the plugin so it may need some improvement.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is definitely not an IMAP server. Most email servers would be constantly syncing with your normal account. So, it really isn't much of an archive if you are looking for deleted emails. Why do you need imap access to the archive?

If you really want an IMAP server, I recommend running something like iRedMail in a VM.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• On my xpenology i had the "Mailserver" running.
    From time to time I moved my Mails from the hosted Mailservers (eg puretec, gmx) to my NAS.
    This worked very elegant within thunderbird (drag and drop from one account to another).
    Therefore my "archive" mailserver has to talk imap.
    When I need remote-access to my mail-archive I build up a VPN connection.
    Don´t like too much data lying around somewhere in the world...

• I run a local VM instance of Zimbra for my MTA needs. Any MTA should fit your needs though. I send all important mail to the VM for archive purposes. With Zimbra, I have setup SSL for IMAP and disabled the default SMTP and POP3 services. It's nice to have an an archive of emails that I don't want to resdse on public servers.

• I installed dovecot in the meantime.
    Some little changes in the config and it works like a charm.
    Problems were authentication (I wanted to use the omv/linux users), capital letters in usernames and changing to "maildir" format.

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!