Virtualbox network setup

• Hi gang, I'm trying to get an open source router OS to run in a VirtualBox on my OMV but all installs of the routers software, they never see the 2 network cards. One of the network card is an Intel gigabit and the other is a D-Link gigabit card. I tried to use network bridge on all installations, but nothing works.

I tried Untangle, IPFire and SophosUTM.

Let me know if more info is required.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you post a screenshot of your Adapter 1 and 2 configs in phpvirtualbox with the advanced options open. I'm guessing you need to change the adapter (called Name) in adapter #2 to something different than adapter #1.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I mean the screen where you edit the settings like in my screen shot. Post one for each adapter.

vb_network.jpg

• The bridge name has to match the bare metal machines name too. So if you are using something besides eth0 on the bare metal machine make sure the vm matches the name of the bare metal. Example, you have a card in the bare metal that is eth1 make sure the bridge name is eth1.

• tekkbe doesn't seem reasonable to check for that... can't fullfill that request on windows machines either.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I don't get what you mean David. On one of my bare metal installs of OMV the machine is eth1 and I have to use eth1 for the bridge setup. It is always like this. This is not an ordinary situation above.

• The name field is an array/dropdown. You can't use something wrong in there except using a device which is not meant to be used for bridging.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hey tekbb and David :) Just throwing my two cents in here.

Hi mbourd25,

I think what you are trying to do is set the "LAN" port of the routers/firewalls you have tried.

For example, eth1 on OMV in your case could be the WAN/Internet port for your router VM and you have it enabled. Make sure it is set to "bridged adapter" from the "attached to" menu. You must have the virtual machine turned off to make the following changes. Click the adapter 2 tab and enable it. Change it to "bridged adapter" or your desired setting from the "attached to" menu. Change the "name" to "eth2" then click OK. That should allow the 2nd adapter to show in the Firewall OS you are trying to use.

Notes and opinions: If you are trying to use this as your main firewall/router for your home network, I advise against it. If OMV or Vitrualbox stop working for some reason then you will take down your whole network. It would be better if you had a dedicated router/firewall for this. If you are using it as a firewall for your VMs then it would be OK to do this method. It really depends on what you are trying to do here. If you gave is some more information on what you are tryomtg to do, then that would help us understand and give you a better answer. Best of luck!

• Hi gang, I am trying to use the VirtualBox to try these open source routers so I can see which one I would pick for my dedicated machine.

I have 3 network cards, one is for the OMV (eth0) and the other 2 are reserved for VirtualBox (eth1 and eth2). I was trying to set eth1 as the WAN and eth2 to go to my switch.

When I tried some VM open source (IPFire, SophosUTM, etc.), I was able to select eth1 for the WAN and eth2 for the LAN but after that, I'm not able to connect to the net with.

My IP range is between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.255, both eth1 and eth2 are setup 192.168.1.90 and 91 so that I don't cause inteference with my other connected peripherals, could that be the problem?

Thanks for your help again, let me know if more info is required.

• eth1 and eth 2 are in the same subnet? impossible...

Grertings
    David

• Well... you should not set them at all... you do that via your VM.

Greetings
    David

• Of course the virtual machine will see them if you bridge them. The host does not need to have access to the device, it just has to be "up" in the host, but there is no need to assign anything to the devices.

Greetings
    David

• I thought I had to assign the networks IP addresses under OMV so that Virtualbox could see them.

I'll try again tonight by first removing there IP address in OMV and then redoing the VM.

Thanks again for your help.

• Hi gang, I tried again to setup a VM to run SophosUTM and removing IP addresses to my 2 dedicated network cards for running the router O/S, but Sophos couldn't locate the 2 network cards. So I had to give IP addresses to the 2 network cards. Now it sees them but still can't connect to the open source router after.

What am I doing wrong?

I should just get myself a small machine and just install it directly.

• What am I doing wrong?

Hard to tell remotely. Would have to grab a usb to ethernet adapter to test that behaviour...

Greetings
    David

• I have another question concerning setting up a router OS in a Virtualbox instance using 2 network cards reserved for this test.

In Virtualbox, what network card settings should I use for the network card where that's connected to the internet and the network card which is connected to my internal network?

What IP address should I assign these network cards in OMV and also what IP address to assign them when setting up the Router OS?

I still can't connect to the internet?

Thanks in advance.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!