Advice for Off-Site backup

• I have used Open Media Vault to act as file server for a very small office. We would like to back it to a remote location but the only access I have to this remote location is either FTP or WebDAV is it possible to do and how would I go about setting it up.

I know a little linux but would prefer to keep it simple.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ftp is a bad idea because it is not secure. Is the remote box running OMV? If not and it has webdav enabled, you should be able to install the openmediavault-remoteshare plugin to mount webdav and use rsync or the openmediavault-rsnapshot plugin to backup to the remote share.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't used the webdav part so I'm not sure what or where it would log. You could check the remote server's logs to see if it is authenticating properly.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hey Folks,

have a simular problem with the remoteshare-plugin, enabling me to backup some dirs on a webdav share.
    At first, the plugin was one of the best improvements in OMV 1.0 --> no more cli things to do ;)
    OK, I try to sync about 120000 photos in the first step, maybe this is to much for my little N54L System...

Problem:
    when the rsync job starts, there is a lot of wait IO, so every job with the underlying filesystem is getting very slow...
    Why is it not possible to enable the system drive as mountpoint for my davfs / webdav instead of the raid-volume wich is configured for all other services??
    It is not possible to select the system-drive (OMV-System disk) to create an shared folder for doing the job as mountpoint for the davfs / webdav!!

Creating a symlink from the raid-volume to the system-disk is not possible, there is no way to mount a filesystem on a symlink ;(

Any hints how to get this arround?

THX Thomas

• Offizieller Beitrag

120K photos over webdav is a lot of processing for the initial sync.

The idea of OMV is to keep data separate from the OS. There are two ways around it.

1 - Repartition your OS drive and add another partition for data.
    2 - Use the Downloader plugin to create a symlink to the OS drive.

• Hi ryecoaaron,

thx for your tipps.
    I've allready tried to do the trick with the symlink, no mount possible on symlinks!
    So I'll go the way with repartitioning the system drive.
    At the moment the whole drive is one great partition of 230GB with an ext4 fs.
    Any hints how to repartition the drive without losing my OMV configuration??
    Via menue, it's not possible to use the resize option for the system drive --> greyed out ;(
    Also as i know there is no way to resize an ext4 fs online, it must be unmounted!
    In the backup section in OMV 1.x is an option for a parted magic integration via iso.
    Would this be your fav option to get this done?

THX m0therbrAin

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could use partedmagic from the backup plugin or gparted live from a usb stick.

• I am using Ahsay Software. It is designed for managed service providers (MSPs) to provide online backup service to their customers. It comes with the most comprehensive features that can fulfill all the on-premises backup, online backup, offsite backup, and cloud backup. Once you check this Software. Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!