How to use Discspace on Systemdisc for virtual Server?

• Hi,

new to the forum in hope I might find some help here:
    I'm running OMV1 on an HP54l; now, I wanted to create a virtual Server on nginx, to run a baikal-server for contacts and calendar (as I can't get ownCloud running - even with the OMV-plugin; it didn't save the Data I've entered; also I couldn't connect my Smartphone to it)...

I have following Intentions/Problems doing this:
    1. it would be a "one User-System", but I d'like to manage my Contacts & Calendars on my Smartphone, Tablet and PC without making all entries in each system (yes - i'm lazy ;)
    2. I'd like to keep Power-Consumption low; therefor, I'd like to create a directory on the System-Disc for Baikal without having the need to start up the Storage-Disc
    3. I have no DNS-Server in my LAN by using staticDHCP from my Fritz.Box; so ... I see a lot of questionsmarks...

Using a directory on the Systemdisc is the important part as the Systemdisc will always be on anyway while the storage-drive, and this would be the best way to avoid a "dedicated hardware-drive" (small SSD or fast USB-Stick) just to save my contacts & calendars on...

Already done:
    .) tried the owncloud-plugin from OMV -> unsucessful, didn't save my entries (calendar AND contacts), only accepted storagedisc for storage (but it has been accessible via another port, but DAVdroid could not connect to SSL-secured ownCloud)
    .) installed OMV-Extra Plugins, and the Webserver-Management -> can't choose/create a directory on the systemdisc
    .) read a lot of tutorial and how-to's, used Google and this Forum's Searchfunction -> found no solution (maybe only search with wrong terms ? But I'm on it since a few weeks now)

Is there a way I can put my Idea into reality?
    (if yes: how? If there are already topics for this query - pls. tell me where (or what to search for))

(or will there be a Baikal-Plugin for OMV in near future? THIS actually would be my most favorised solution ;)

(oh and sorry 'bout my english, am no native - and, I guess, my english marks in school have been "well earned" and ... very fair after all ;)

EDIT:
    sry, forgot:
    Clients will be:
    PC: Thunderbird & Lightning (SoGo Connector)
    Smartfone: Xperia T (running PACman 4.4.4), shall use DAVdroid
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with newest Stockrom, also should use DAVdroid.
    Currently, I'm running a Baikal-Server on a Raspberry, but I intent to "reuse" the pi and need to "move" baikal - as the N54l will be running anyway, this is the best solution I think

System:
    HP N54l - 4GB RAM - 64GB-SSD OMV, 2 x 1TB Seagate, 1 x 4TB WD Blue
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sehnix ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to repartition your OS hard drive. You will be able to use the non-OS partition then.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I already have two partitions on the Systemdisc:
    1: 60GB for a Debian Wheezy-Installation
    2: 60GB for OMV
    (could change that via gparted (I would have to start it from usb, but this should not be the problem), 30 or 40GB should be cleared for that)

When I have the/a free partition for this, I'd have to "add" it in the OMV web-interface on "FileSystems"?
    (and then I should be able to use it?)

So it is not possible to use a directory on the SystemDisc (-Partition) for this?

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just create a new partition and format it. It will show up in the Filesystems tab so you can mount it.

No, it isn't really possible to use the system partition.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Used gparted to "make some room" on the Systemdisc (reduced the Debian and OMV-Partitions both to 40GB, the new 40GB-Part (sdb7) should have become the "new datapartition")...

Trying to mount the new partition led to following error-message:

...what did I do wrong now?

EDIT

some aditional Infos:
    fsck showed a wrong Date - but was able to fix it, no further issues on the partition.
    reinitialized sdb7 with ext4
    it can be mounted manually without issues... (but won't be seen in OMV)
    ... "as everything seems to be alright"
    ...only the OMV-Administration-Interface still shows the same error-message...

??

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sehnix ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't mount it in the web interface because it is an sd card with the mmc addressing. You can try to file a bug report here. I'm not sure if Volker will want to fix this since his original idea is to not use OS drive for data.

• Actually, it's an SSD... ADATA SP900 120GB (or ist it a 128??), with now 4 Partition (Debian, OMV, sdb7, Linux-Swap)

As I can understand why not to use the Systemdrive (...partition) for Data, I sure have som difficulties why a partition on the same drive can't be used...

As I'm sure the only one who intends to do perform such a stunt:
    what's the better solution?
    A cheap SSD with 40GB replacing the 120GB-drive (which I'd transplant to my pc for HDD-replacement)
    or
    a "good" USB-Stick for OMV-only, connected to the internal port of the N54l

(maybe i'd use the SSD as "Data-Disc" for Webserver/Server for seldom used but needed files ("my documents with low priority"... It's just - one more disc, one more powerdrain... (yes, the N54 uses currently only 32Watts, but the fewer the better, with 24/7 even 32Watts start showing up on the bill)

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I was thinking you were using an RPi.

Try:
    rm /var/lib/openmediavault/fstab_tasks.json
    and then try mounting it again.

Don't use a usb stick for OMV. Even a "good" one probably doesn't use static wear leveling.

• I am - for the current baikal-enviroment, which I'd like to move to the n54l as the RPi shall take over other tasks...

=>
    Removing the fstab_tasks.json did the trick, was cabable to mount the free partition.
    <=

...unfortunatly the nginx-plugin from OMV-extras caused an error... "Ein Fehler trat auf" (An error occured) - had to manually remove the new server from sites-enabled to regain control over the OMV-web-admin...

Now, I have to think about an alternative way to get a virtual host running on the system :-/
    (only for baikal - small hint for those who create the plugins ;)

(somehow - Linux has been so much easier to handle before it grew up ;)

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you post a screenshot of your nginx settings? It should work fine.

• In a mood of total frustration I deleted the OMV-Web-Admin-Serverentry created for baikal...
    I'll retry tomorrow - I just gave owncloud another chance...
    Depending on the results I get tomorrow (or later - maybe) I'll post the Screenshot then...
    (too much adrenaline per day not good for sehnix' mood ;)

But - being "old school user", I created a backup-File of the config
    /etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-nginx

(maybe I should have choosen another ssl-port? --> Server will be reachable only from LAN, no WAN-connection intended)

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the OMV web interface set to use a port other than 80? The only other thing I can see that might cause the problem is no trailing slash after baikal in the set root_path. nginx is picky about trailing slashes.

Why use ssl if you are only connecting via LAN?

• Actually, it IS set to 80?? Set it to 8091 once, but ok... (edit: now changed back to another port)
    Forced SSL anyway... (old habit of mine; who knows, suddenly, I'll have the need to access it from the outside)

The Config-file has been created by the nginx-Plugin, I didn't change anything in that...

Btw - out of curiosity: no ; after SSL-Certificate-Lines? Is that ok?

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the OMV web interface is running on port 80, the config you have would conflict with that.

• After (re)changing OMV-Standardpoint and entering another one for the "new" Server, it worked...
    Even ownCloud seems to be working this time (all directories on the sdb7 instead of sda1)...

Thanks a lot, ryecoaaron :)

Edit:
    nope - ownCloud still "forgets" all Settings; yesterday, I entered some Contacts, synchronised them, everything visible in owncloud-webgui and synced on thunderbird and android-tablet - today all entries are gone. Same with Calendar-Entries...
    And the "baikal-virtualhost" does not accept php so no success there either...
    (had to enable php-fpm manually, baikal seems to be working somehow (without sync yet))

I'm short of installing OMV new, something must be wrong here :-/

System:
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von sehnix ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!