Massive File Loss - due to plugin deinstallation?

• Hi,

I just realized basically all files on my NAS (more specifically, my data disk) are gone. Let me put my questions first before I go into detail. I want to know:

• Why did this happen? (So I can avoid this scenario in the future.)
    • Is there a way to rescue my data, and if so, how?

To explain what happened, let me give you a brief overview of my file structure:

• Backups
    • Data*
    • eBooks*
    • ownCloud
    • plexmediaserver*

The directories marked with a '*' have either disappeared or, in case of my Data directory, are empty. Backups, Data and eBooks are also Shares that I'm using for backing up my personal notebook, storing large files/file collections (e.g. pictures, movies,...) or for use with calibre, respectively.

So, let me point out to you what I have done since I last checked that my files are still existent (i.e., what might have caused the loss of data):

• I uninstalled the calibre server (that I installed using the OMV-extras repo). It was set up to use the eBooks folder (configured as a share) for data storage.
    • I played around a bit with couchpotato (that I installed using the OMV-extras repo) and configured it to move new movies to the Data directory, more precisely Data/Movies. That folder still existed after the data loss.
    • I shutdown the server, plugged in a new harddisk containing some old backups of mine and copied the data onto my NAS them using rsync. For what it's worth, the exact command was:
      Code
      rsync --numeric-ids -aPvz /media/OldDiskUID/Music/* /media/myNasUID/Data/Music/

• I uninstalled Plex media server (that I installed using the OMV-extras repo). When doing so I encountered an error that the plexmediaserver directory was nonexistent, which might be a hint that the data loss occurred before this step.

All of this happened in a time span of about 30 minutes and some of these steps were executed simultaneously, that is, doing the backup and uninstalling stuff in the web GUI.

This is my setup: I run the latest version of OMV 1.0.* on a HP N54L using a SSD as system disk and 2 mirrored 2TB disks as data disk(s). As I said, I also plugged a new disk in in order to copy some old files to my NAS. The data disk(s) use XFS as file system, the disk that I plugged in uses ext4.

I tried to find those missing files with testdisk, but it didn't show anything on that disk. Admittedly, I'm not an expert using this software though.

So, I have been running both my new NAS and OMV for a week or two have been very happy so far. Thank you everyone for contributing and creating this awesome piece of software. I still think it's a great piece of software, however, I now need your help to avoid this scenario in the future and, hopefully, get my data back.

Thank you very much,
    Daniel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you send your system info using the Send button in Support Info?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:

ls -al /media/873d55a0-6559-4bee-8212-bfb84fb69727/
    ls -al /media/6dfe28b2-3133-4f34-af79-ddcdff82adf4/

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Code
    root@kairos:~# ls -al /media/873d55a0-6559-4bee-8212-bfb84fb69727/
    total 36
    drwxrwx---+ 5     1001 users      62 Oct 23 20:56 .
    drwxr-xr-x  6 root     root     4096 Oct 23 20:27 ..
    drwxrwsr-x+ 2 root     users    8192 Oct 20 21:17 Backups
    drwxrwsr-x+ 5 root     users      42 Oct 23 21:02 Data
    drwxrwx---+ 6 www-data www-data 4096 Oct 20 22:17 ownCloud

EDIT: Just to be clear. /media/873d55a0-6559-4bee-8212-bfb84fb69727/ is the data partition on my NAS (2x2TB, raid 1). This is where the loss of data occurred. /media/6dfe28b2-3133-4f34-af79-ddcdff82adf4/ is the disk containing my old backup, that I plugged in before the data loss. (Note: My old backups are not complete, so it would be amazing to have my data back.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you look in the sub-folders from the command line to see if your data was there? According to your support info, there is data on the array (2% full).

• (I have not looked at the Log) If the filesystem is Ext3/4 you can try to run extundelete (you may need it to run via systemrescuecd) and try to restore files, allways worth a try!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Nope, there's only my Backups folder (which has not been deleted - who knows why...) and the data that I copied at some point during the data loss.

Code
    root@kairos:/media/873d55a0-6559-4bee-8212-bfb84fb69727# du -hd 1
    33G    ./Data
    13M    ./ownCloud
    3.5G    ./Backups
    36G    .

Unfortunately I'm using XFS and as far as I have seen, there is no xfsundelete. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

photorec will work. Just doesn't recover filenames and directory structure.

• photorec will work. Just doesn't recover filenames and directory structure.

That worked like a charm - thank you very much!!

Still, the one question that remains is: What deleted the data? In the meanwhile I have set up Plex and calibre again, configured other services, rsynced more old data,... and everything works smoothly. I have no idea what may have caused the data loss. Maybe someone has an idea, so that I (and maybe others) can avoid similar hassle. Since I understand that this is a bit of guessing rather than actual bugfixing, I will eventually mark this thread as "solved".

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hard to say what caused the data loss. None of the plugins remove data even when uninstalled/purged.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!