how i fixed "It seems the service isnt running" in Openmediavault services red dot

• xpost from plex.tv forums...

I'm writing this to document the steps i took to resolve an issue i had with PMS where no matter what i did the service wouldn't start. I somehow borked my PMS installation and decided i needed to reinstall it and start fresh. I had installed from the plugins menu so i uninstalled from there. proceeded to purge all pms assets in the command line and rebooted. I reinstalled pms from the gui again and this time the server wouldnt start.

I went through multiple uninstalls and reinstalls, changed the pms database directory multiple times and still no go. so then i reinstalled from a .deb in the command line. no matter what i did the plexmediaservice would show a red dot in the OMV gui services tab and the command line would output "it seems the service isnt running".

welp time to start over completely and totally reinstall OMV. so i reinstalled OMV went through all of the updates, installed the new kernal from the omv-extras repo and then i reinstalled plex. rebooted. I went to the services tab and the plexmediaservice still had a red dot! reinstalled OMV multiple times using default kernel, changing database folders. I searched all over the forums, here and omv.org, tried all manner of purge this, grep that, apt update/upgrade ect. I tried changing ownership of the database folder to root:nogroup, then to plex:users, then to fuck:this. nothing worked. the errors still plagued me.

reading a forum late at night i read an off-comment about manually creating the plex user. I tried to create the plex user but it wasn't showing up in the gui. I read that this was because when you install plex it creates a user "silently". I uninstalled plex, rebooted, created the plex user manually and gave it access to all the shares. When i reinstalled plex lo and behold, works like a charm and somewhat faster than before!

sorry for the rambling, but i wanted to give people the solution that worked for me after days of searching. maybe i can help save people time.

TL;DR

if you're at wits end, try uninstalling plex, create a user with the name "plex" manually and give it access to all your shares and then reinstall plex.

• For users to show in the web gui they need to be above uid 1000. The plex user does not need to show in the web gui. Proper chown of the plexmediaserver is:
    plex:nogroup

Your issue was likely a uid mismatch with the uid of the plex user and the plex ownership uid on the plexmediaserver folder. If you do the following before reinstall you should not encounter all the problems you went through.
    apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver
    apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    userdel plex

Then reinstall the plugin.

• thanx for the reply. I actually did do
    apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver
    apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    userdel plex

before every reinstall of plex and OMV. I saw that you mentioned these commands in another thread so i added them to things to try. whats strange is that i would thing that doing this purge would delete all user permissions and metadata. but still everytime i reinstalled OMV and plex i would still get the "service isnt running" red dot in services gui.

maybe i was reinstalling in the wrong order? does a fresh reinstall of OMV totally delete plugin data/users or is there a chance of permission remnants staying?

this was one of the more hair pulling issues ive had but still im glad its solved for me at least for now.

• Aaron has made some changes to the plugin and I have not looked at what exactly it is doing now. The problem I would say is with the package from Plex. When the PlexMediaServer package is uninstalled it should delete the plex user but apparently it was not. This may be due to it being a Ubuntu package that is translated to Debian and there may be some issue.

The plugin has a command in the module (plexmediaserver.inc) that basically check if there is a process running for plexmediaserver. If no process is found the light is red: /etc/init.d/plexmediasever status
    See here, it is the file in the plugin that controls the start, stop and status of plexmediaserver:
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…odule/plexmediaserver.inc
    These functions:
    public function stopService
    public function startService
    public function getStatus

You may have had a home location issue for the plex user. We can't know now. When the plex package is installed the home location for the plex user and the plexmediaserver working folder is located at:
    /var/lib/plexmediaserver
    When you enable the plugin it should move the plexmediaserver folder to the data disk you choose and move the plex user's home location accordingly. There is another command to move the plex users home location:
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver stop
    usermod -d /media/UUID/plexmediaserver -m plex (where UUID is the filesystem of the data drive to which you want to move the home folder)
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start

If you mean a fresh install by ISO yes. If you mean via apt-get --purge remove openmediavault you may still have some package issues. It is best to learn as much as you can and how to solve issues. You will get a lot better over time. With any given service it helps to have a lot of knowledge about the service too. Unfortunately that is one thing that is the aim of OMV, that people do not need to know the fundamentals.

Anyway, it is very difficult to problem solve these issues when you are not on the machine in question. Many of the mods are really good at doing things that are difficult.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!