Printer problems - Canon Pixma MG2450

• Hi guys,

I am setting up OMV on an old PC with a view to setting it up to do Google Cloud Printing (have read that this is possible!). However, I am having difficulties getting the machine to 'see' the printer.

The hardware:
    Server: Compaq Deskpro EN - 512MB RAM, 733mhz PIII (yeah, it's old - but it was free!)
    Printer: Canon Pixma MG2450 (works fine locally on Ubuntu on my laptop, so it is Linux compatible...)

Up until this weekend, I had been trying with Lubuntu on the Deskpro. When I went to add a printer, it would be listed as "unknown" in the devices list. I could then manually select a driver and it would appear to install. Whenever I tried to print anything, it would begin to print and then go to "idle- rendering complete". The print queue would show it as "held". Releasing it would have no effect - it would go back to "held" after a few seconds.

So, I decided it was probably a setting deep inside CUPS or something that was deeply screwed up, and, since OMV is more appropriate anyway, I decided to try it. OMV installed, so I loaded the extra plugins and installed the CUPS one. If I go to "add" under the printing tab on the web interface, it shows as "unknown" (oh dear), but there is no "MG2450" or "MG2400 series" driver to choose in the list.

So I went back to the command line on machine itself, and downloaded Canon's latest Linux driver. It would begin to install, and then tell me to plug the printer in (despite the fact it was plugged in and on this whole time). If I told it to scan for the printer, it would say it was not there. I have tried it in the rear ports (on the motherboard) and on two ports on a USB PCI card.

Interestingly enough, doing lsusb recognises it (as "Canon corp" or something) if it is plugged into the motherboard ports, whereas it is not listed at all when it is plugged into the PCI card.

So, help, anyone? Thanks! :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!