OMV Nasbox freezes and becomes unresponsive overnight...

• hey guys,

I’m having an issue either with OMV(software) or my system(hardware), and I’m hoping i can describe my issues here and get some help if its OMV. I’ve reinstalled OMV about a week ago and everything was running great until about 4 days ago. after a reboot the system wouldn’t finish booting and threw out a lot of errors.

usb 2-2 device descriptor read/64, error -71

xhci_hcd 00:0:0:0 setup error: setup context command for slot 1

usb 2-2 hub failed to enable device

i figured after a few hours that it was the keyboard that i had plugged into the usb3.0 terminal and when i plugged it into the 2.0 terminal system booted no errors no problem. this was using the new kernel so i was surprised that usb 3.0 wasn’t working especially since i enabled usb 3.0 in the mobo bios.

the next morning i woke up and my Nasbox was hard locked up; unreachable by smb/ssh/ftp etc, so i had to hold down the power and start it up. I thought it was a fluke until the next morning I woke up and found the nasbox unresponsive yet again.

at this point i started looking up potential issues. The system logs didn’t show anything out of the ordinary other than the timestamp of a “flushall” was 7 hours before the rebooting logging started. So to me it seemed as though whatever happened wasn’t being logged.

full disclosure, I’m still new to linux and couldn’t find an error log so i was only going off of the syslog in the GUI.

steps I’ve taken 2 nights ago.

I thought the drives might be overheating so i separated my 4 drives from 1 bay into 2 x 2 bays.

I plugged the sata cables into different terminals on my motherboard after checking for faulty cabling.

i uninstalled all plugins except for plex.

after a few reboots, i started watching some vids and during playback the nasbox froze yet again after about 30 min of video watching. I rebooted once and all seemed fine for the night.

then this morning i woke up to a frozen box again so i held down power to reboot again. this time when i rebooted, I received a few errors on the startup screen which lead me to believe a hard drive is failing.

33.888139 ata2.00 failed command: read dma

43.295999 ata2.00 revalidation failed (errno=-5

end_request i/0 error, dev sad sect 8

ect…

I let the machine boot all the way up and one of my raids was offline so i rebooted, and this time i used the old 3.2.0 kernel vs the 3.16 kernel. The machine booted all the way in and the raid was there so i started backing up the media on that drive to another drive and during the transfer the box locked up frozen again. Im not sure if a bad drive would totally freeze the machine especially if its just been sitting for hours. and thats where I’m at right now.

so I think there are a few issues i could possibly be facing.

Maybe my OMV installation got borked.

maybe my HDD is borked causing system lockups

maybe my cpu is overheating, although I’ve got a serious fan on it and around 6 case fans with serious airflow.

maybe ram is borked?

so many variables i don’t know where to start. I can’t find an error log to point me in the right direction. Ill post logs (if i can figure out how) when i get home from work later, i just wanted to get this down before i forgot everything I’ve done.

anybody have any ideas? what other information do you need from me? ?(

• On what kind of drive is your OS installed? What do the smart values say for that drive? What does the kern.log say? <- That one would show kernel lockups if the system is able to report the lockup. Sometimes it can log it, sometimes it can't.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• thanx for the reply. the system drive is a repurposed WD passport 2.5inch 320gb sata drive i had laying around unused. i do not have smart enabled, is this something i should do? i wasn't sure if it was important or not. I will look for and check the kern.log tonight. Thanks for helping me out

• Yeah, check the smart values or post the output of smartctl -a /dev/sdX here so we can have a look.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Here is the smart command for my two oldest hard drives. the other two are wd reds i just bought so im sure they arnt bad. these two however are pretty old. my kern.log is too big to attach (2.6mb) so here is a dropbox link if your interested, would my messages.txt or deamon.log be useful to put up?. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7059664/files/kern.log

ive combed through it, but at the time of the crash, it does not log anything. you can see the time jump multiple hours for when it stopped logging, to when i rebooted it.

• heres the 2nd one. post was too long

• interesting. people are attempting to break into my server. thought kernel logs were pretty anonymous.

edit: apparently people have been trying to bruteforce their way in since sunday :( just went through the authentication logs. no idea how my server got out there.

• Smart data of your OS disk?

Greetings
    David

• Those errors happened over 20.000 hours ago. ;)

Greetings
    David

• heres the smart command of my OS drive..

• so the nasbox has been running great the last two days. i closed off access from the internet to the box. now its only accessible from the local network and through openvpn and ftp. i think my issue was that i was getting Dos'ed. i combed through the authentication logs and the timeframes of the hundreds of login attempts match the timeframe of the last log in the syslog everytime it crashed.

today i am going to replace my os drive with an ssd and my old media drives with 1 red drive. hopefully this will fix up all issues. Ill report back and close this thread out after a few days. i appreciate the help so far.

• just wanted to chime in here again and close this thread out. I think i was right in thinking it was the bruteforce attacks killing the box overnight. i shut off access from the net and its been running great.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!