Was going to build Amahi server, OMV seems to be the way to go.

• Old home server running windows crapped out, was time to upgrade anyway. Have a few questions regarding the build I'm hoping for. I had already ordered parts intending to build an amahi server, but read further into what OMV has to offer and it seems like a way more hassle free install, clearer-cut directions and management, no premiums to pay just for UI elements, runs ok off a thumb drive, and still seems to have Greyhole available which is cool beans by me. I'll be repurposing the drives, ram, and power supply from the old server, using a new mobo and processor. Currently incoming is:
    ASUS H87I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard With UEFI BIOS

And
    Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646G3258http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

Final build will be running with 4G of ram for the first bit of its life. Hoping to have a plex server running, network shares, possibly a few other things including my website to save on hosting costs. Any reason these shouldn't play nice?
    I also have a load of extra 2.5 inch drives floating around, is there any reason I can't throw some of these in internally until I can swap them out for larger capacity Drives? Logically it seems like less physical space will mean better dissipation. I'm also unable to find a clear cut answer as to whether or not file system matters server side for read/write over network shares, just that SMB will work with my mac as well. My google-fu is usually strong, but not this time around. Sorry for the shit formatting with the links, things aren't playing nice on my IOS device. Any info would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not really familiar with web hosting, so I'll leave that to someone else. 4gigs of RAM should be OK I would think. Only hangup I could see there, is if you plan to use Plex for transcoding.

2.5in drives will work just fine.

File systems on the server, use a Linux file system (ext3,ext4, etc.). Your Mac will see them just fine via smb. Only issue there (I think.. I don't do Mac's) is if you want to use your NAS for Time Machine backups... I *believe* it requires AFP, which OMV also has a plugin for.

• I'm also unable to find a clear cut answer as to whether or not file system matters server side for read/write over network shares, just that SMB will work with my mac as well.

Filesystem does NOT matter.
    Depending on your Mac OS version, you can use SMB. Since Maverics, SMB is the standard transfer protocol with Macs. If you want to use TimeMachine, you have to enable the "Netatalk" Plugin, which is a AFP server. However, I still use ONLY AFP with my Macs. Stable and fast as hell.

• Currently incoming is:
    ASUS H87I-PLUS

Are you going to use WoL to start your server or something like that? If so, return this board as soon as the delivery arrives you. :)
    Check my thread and the links I posted inside. If your server will run 24/7 and you are deactivate WoL in any case, then keep it. ;)

Plex should run with 4GB of RAM and a Pentium G3258. I'm using plex currently on a Galaxy S2 without stutters with 4GB RAM and a Celeron G1820 (720p tv shows) over my home network. I will test 1080p files as well and report it here.

• Are you going to use WoL to start your server or something like that? If so, return this board as soon as the delivery arrives you. :)
    Check my thread and the links I posted inside. If your server will run 24/7 and you are deactivate WoL in any case, then keep it. ;)

Plex should run with 4GB of RAM and a Pentium G3258. I'm using plex currently on a Galaxy S2 without stutters with 4GB RAM and a Celeron G1820 (720p tv shows) over my home network. I will test 1080p files as well and report it here.

No WOL, 24-7 running server if all goes well. Thanks for the heads up about plex! I'll be throwing some more ram in there when the opportunity arises, but if I'm going to upgrade I figure I might as well wait and save up the cash to max out the slots anyway. As always, I appreciate the concern and info!

• I was using Amahi's Fedora branch on a Zotac ZBOXNANO for a couple years. It acted primarily as a file server/download box, and for that purpose, it worked really well and was quite stable. The devs were also pretty friendly. But after awhile, I got bored and wanted to learn more about linux, servers and networking in general, so I looked around and tried FreeNAS and unRaid for awhile, until I finally settled down with OMV--best decision ever! I love my OMV box. :D

Xeon E5-2630 v3 | 8GB DDR4 ECC | 12TB SnapRAID/AUFS Pool | OMV 2.1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!