Samba no worky - could not access PID file for smbd

• Hi All,

I'm really hoping one of you lovely people will be able to help me out here. I've somehow managed to mess up my samba config so much that I cannot connect to any of my shares any more

I'm a debian and Samba noob so you'll have to bear with me here.....

I started following this post to join OMV to my Windows AD domain: http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1493

So, successfully configured Kerberos, winbind and ldap (with the plugin) etc and managed to join my domain with no problems.

Once I'd joined I suddenly realised I could no longer connect to any of the shares which were working fine previously.

I had saved all of my smb config before I started so reverted all of my changes thinking I'd somehow gone wrong joining the windows domain...... Still can't connect.

The problem I have is that sometimes (not all of the time) smbd just refuses to start and when I try to get the status I get the following:

Code
    root@NAS01:~# /etc/init.d/samba restart
    Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
    Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
    root@NAS01:~# /etc/init.d/samba status
    nmbd is running.
    could not access PID file for smbd ... failed!

A search for the PID file sometimes returns one, sometime not.

When I run a testparm I get the following:

After a quick google I still don't know how to fix the rlimit_max issue, is this likely to be my problem?

The weird thing is that sometimes Smbd just won't be running at all and there is nothing in either the log.nmbd or the log.smbd files even though debug is maxed out.

When I do get the smbd running I get 2 instances:

Code
    root@NAS01:~# ps ax | grep mbd
     1299 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
     1330 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
     1347 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
     5876 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep mbd

Here is my current smb.conf file (written by the gui):

As far as I can see my config is OK.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kev

• After a quick google I still don't know how to fix the rlimit_max issue, is this likely to be my problem?

Nope, it won't be your problem.

Delete all shares in the WebGUI and every file you might have messed up and set them up from scratch again.

Oh, and please use codeboxes. Thank you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!