Problem with filesystems and mount points

• I've a BIG problem... 2 HDD mounted as /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1. The problem is that they are pointing to same HD!

For example, if I try to unmount:

Error #0:
    exception 'ErrorException' with message 'Undefined index: dir' in /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc:757
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(757): exception_error_handler(8, 'Undefined index...', '/var/www/openme...', 757, Array)
    #1 [internal function]: FileSystemMgmtRpc->umount(Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(261): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(97): OMVRpc::exec('FileSystemMgmt', 'umount', Array)
    #4 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(44): OMVJsonRpcServer->handle()
    #5 {main}

Please help... :oops:

• Thanks for the help...

root@openmediavault:/etc/openmediavault# omv-rpc "FsTab" "enumerateEntries"
    [{"uuid":"c73b4978-59be-46f6-a85d-4adc80a3e83b","fsname":"\/dev\/sdb1","dir":"\/media\/F4E46A56E46A1ADE","type":"ntfs","opts":"defaults","freq":"0","passno":"2"},{"uuid":"0ecd4205-c215-428f-aa58-addd32c10b30","fsname":"\/dev\/sda1","dir":"\/media\/84CABF7ACABF66D8","type":"ntfs","opts":"defaults","freq":"0","passno":"2"},{"uuid":"45aa930b-4073-4606-9037-2ae8a94287af","fsname":"\/dev\/sdc1","dir":"\/media\/F4E46A56E46A1ADE","type":"ntfs","opts":"defaults","freq":"0","passno":"2"}]

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, do get the required informations you need to debug the WebGUI. You can use Firefox with Firebug or Chrome to get the necessary informations, i've attached a screenshot using Chrome.

Simply select the filesystem to unmount and press the unmount button. In the 'Network' tab in Chrome you'll see a entry called rpc.php. This contains the required informations (see red marked box in screenshot).

• Ok! thank you!

unmount for /dev/sdb1 is not clickable, for /dev/sdc1 the "Request Payload" says:

{"service":"FileSystemMgmt","method":"umount","params":{"id":"F4E46A56E46A1ADE","fstab":true}}

Other infos... there is a fstab before mounts (after a clean installation):

and after mounts:

config.xml:

I've tryed to re-install openmediavault: all ok until I create a shared folder. filesystems are ok. I create shared folders and mount points "crash"... I don't understand why there are 2 "/media/F4E46A56E46A1ADE"...

• Agree. I've focused on "when" there is the problem: during shared folder creation. Bug?

If I mount only filesytem on a clean OMV installation, fstab and config.xml works perfect:

If I create a schared folders config.xml become:

But I don't know why... :o

• Offizieller Beitrag

As already told, your NTFS filesystems are the problem. I don't know how it comes, but the filesystem identifiers are unique what should NEVER happen. This is no problem from OMV, the FSID is used because you can assume that the FSID is worldwide unique. This is for Linux filesystems, i don't know if this also applies to NTFS, but NTFS is not officially supported by OMV, thus i can not guarantee it 100% works.

You MUST change the fsid for one of your NTFS filesystems to get it work with OMV. Maybe this helps:

http://technet.microsoft.com/e…ysinternals/bb897436.aspx
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/ar…-the-volume-id-of-a-disk-

• The reason both disks have the same disk signature could be that one of the disks has been cloned under windows. Both Vista and 7 rely on the disk signature for booting. Google has numerous entrys on how to change the signature. One of them is: http://www.howtohaven.com/system/change-disk-signature.shtml. Unfortunatly most solutions are windows oriented so you need to connect the disk to a windows machine.
    Hope this helps.

Wizrd

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
    The only stupid question is the question that is never asked.

• Disk signatures are different. On a clean installation are correctly identified until I create shared folders.
    When I create a shared folder OMV "crash" and assigns wrong signatures and filesystems are confused, with strange (and wrong) duplicates.

I detached /dev/sdc1/ , clean installation with only 1 HDD --> after shared folder creation filesystem become /dev/sda1!!! :!:

ntfs is not fully supported, ok, I agree. But in my opinion there is a bug during the shared folders creation.

• another problem with fs/mount points

- raid5 on 5 disks, one single mount point using whole md0
    - wanted to test iscsi -> unmounting mountpoint not possible
    - unmounted mount point manually, shrinked md0 with e2fsck and ext2resize
    - webgui: filesystems: create mount point -> not possible, no volume to choose from
    :/

• I also am getting 2 drives with the same UUID after creating a share. Was there any resolution to this?

I tried change it back to the original UUID in fstab but it still wont mount it.
    In blkid it still shows the original UUID.

I see thread with people adding a USB HD get same problem: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1027

edit2: oh i just noticed they have the same LABEL. i am going to try changing one and see what happens
    edit3: nope that didnt fix anything
    edit4: fixed! changed UUID back to proper one in fstab; mkdir /media/<oldUUID>; mount -a
    now only question is why fstab changed the UUID to be the same as the other drive?

edit5: oh the webgui is creating duplicate entries! I unmounted one drive, then tried to remount and now my fstab back to having same UUID for 2 different drives. why this happen!?!?
    edit6: somehow my UUIDs in config.xml get messed around, UUID for one drive point to /dev for other drives, I just delete everything in config.xml <fstab> and /etc/fstab, remount everything now it is sorted.

ALl I know is I have it correct now, am not going to touch anything :D

edit7: there is def. something screwy with mounting NTFS drives, after every reboot i will have to manually mount them as last time my EXT4 data drive was pointing to the mount point of a NTFS drive

• The problem for me appeared to be the way my 7 disks are mounted. They are mounted as a different device on each reboot.

OMV mounts them using /dev/sda1 which points to different disks on different boots. It should actually mount them using by-uuid. Since I now need to add them manually to /etc/fstab and the fstab section of /etc/openmediavault/confix.xml I am using the by-label version.

The openmediavault section in /etc/fstab looks like this:

Code
    /dev/disk/by-label/STORAGE_1 /mnt/STORAGE_1 ntfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-label/STORAGE_2 /mnt/STORAGE_2 ntfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-label/STORAGE_3 /mnt/STORAGE_3 ntfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-label/STORAGE_4 /mnt/STORAGE_4 ntfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-label/STORAGE_5 /mnt/STORAGE_5 ntfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-label/STORAGE_6 /mnt/STORAGE_6 ntfs defaults 0 0

The fstab section of the config looks like this:

The actual OMV code should use the by-uuid method, but since that's kinda tedious to type manually I am using the by-label version.

In order to get sharing of paths to work I needed to change one line of code in the __construct method of the OMVFilesystem class in the /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system.inc php file .

Code
    $this->deviceFile = realpath($id);

I wrapped the $id variable in the realpath method in order for the symlink to be resolved.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using labels are also not a good idea, but sadly NTFS does not support/provide UUIDs. I have to check whether it is possible to use labels in the source code, but for that the whole code must be checked to prevent unwanted side effect. The problem is that the whole code assumes that fsname is only UUID or the device path.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!