Copy from NTFS to EXT4? simplest way?

• Sorry if this has been asked, but forum searching couldn't get me a clear answer. Recently got involved with OMV and I'm trying to copy files off an old NTFS drive onto a new one, EXT4, in the server. I feel like I'm doing this in a long, convoluted way that isn't necessary. So far I've got my shares set up and everything is working fine, however the transfer is slowly chugging away across my router and onto the new blank drive in the OMV server. I feel like the transfer speeds would go a lot faster if it was connected to the server itself, instead of being bottlenecked as a USB device then going over wifi. How else would I go about doing this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here's what I would do.

Connect the drive to your NAS. An internal SATA connection will likely be faster than USB, but USB will get the job done just the same.
    Mount the NTFS drive in the webUI. This could be the only tricky spot... I don't use NTFS, but I'm pretty sure you can mount NTFS partitions in the webUI. Assuming you can...
    Add an NTFS share to your shared folders section.
    Add an ext4 share to your shared folders section

If the rsync plugin is not installed (I think it's installed by default.. but can't remember), install it by clicking on plugins.
    Click on rsync
    Click Add
    Now, set up a simple rsync job. You want your "NTFS" share to be be the "source" directory. The "destination" directory, will be your "ext4" share.
    Save the job
    Run the job...

Sit back and watch your files sync to the new drive. When it's done.... repeat as necessary for all the NTFS shares you want to move to the ext4 drive. Once all the NTFS data is all moved to the ext4, double check that all your data moved correctly just to be sure (it should just fine). I would then delete all the rsync jobs, the NTFS shared folders, and format the NTFS drive as ext4 if you still intend to use it.

Really not near as difficult as it sounds. Depending on the amount of data it might take a few minutes, but the internal bus (or even USB bus) will be way faster than what you're doing now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmm, well there might be a minor issue...

I just formatted an old flash drive I have as NTFS to test this. It seems to mount in the webUI just fine, but you can't select it to add shared folders.... The thread below describes exactly the issue I ran into.

Strange devices on File Systems and Volume problem on Shared Folders

The good news is, since the drive mounts just fine in the webUI.. if you're comfortable with the command line, you can easily copy the files from the command line. If you want some help with that.. feel free to post.

• I'd appreciate the command line help, I've done a decent amount of command line stuff but it's all been fucking around with a jailbroken iPhone. The more I can know now, the better off I am I figure. I've been using extplorer as a workaround but it's a little jumbled on whats' going on and I managed to accidentally remove some music I was hoping to keep. No big deal, I can re-rip the albums. Couple that with the fact that it keeps timing out (failed to connect to server) and only seems to be able to move certain amounts at a time, it's hokey, but it's working. It DOES seem more efficient since the transfer speeds are higher, but since it's being a little garbled I'd rather SSH in and do it without all the "extras" so to speak.

• FWIW mounting the NTFS as share was my first initial approach but since it's a failing drive there were some S.M.A.R.T. issues to get past before I could get any further. That's when I discovered NTFS wasn't shareable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK... then here's what I would do.....

Mount the NTFS drive in the webUI.

Once the drive is mounted, either on the console, or via SSH, log into the machine.
    Once you're logged in to the machine, use the cd command to change to the media directory:
    cd /media
    Then type ls (lowercase L)
    This will list the contents of the /media folder, which should be some directories that are just some random numbers.. these are the UUID's of the drives. It will look something like this:

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cd /media
    root@openmediavault:/media# ls
    4d1dcbc8-5cf7-4bbf-8493-1ef07bcf6cee  b5d69254-c55a-4f23-8b97-cfdeca364cc3  cdrom  usb    usb0
    root@openmediavault:/media#

You need to figure out which of those number sets is your NTFS drive... so either use blkid, or
    cd /media/"some-uuid" (type the first few characters of a UUID, then hit tab to auto complete)
    Use ls again to browse the contents... this should tell you which UUID is pointing at the NTFS drive, and which is pointing at the ext4 drive.

After you've figured that out, it's a simple command to copy a directory from the NTFS to the ext4 drive.
    cp -R "/media/NTFS_UUID/Directory_Name" "/media/EXT4_UUID/"
    Then hit enter... and the directory will be COPIED to the ext4 drive.

If you need help, I can either help you via teamviewer, or if you come to the IRC channel I'll be there for a while.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!