New build advice.

• Hello everyone! I see there are quite a few threads asking for build advice. With so many different hardware configs, I suppose it's a necessary evil. I just decommissioned one of my home office PC's running XP pro. I was going to sell it but it basically isn't worth much. So after reading here in the forums I was thinking about turning it into a NAS running Open media vault. I'm just not sure if the hardware is suitable for what I want to use the NAS for. First the specs. It's a home built running an Intel dual core processor, attached to an MSI P6N SLI platinum mobo. It has two gigs DDR2 Corsair RAM. It has a Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT graphics card, and a 500 gig OS drive. Also a Corsair 550 watt PSU. So, as you can see, a pretty mediocre system.

With that said, my needs are pretty basic. I have ROKU 3 streaming boxes in my bedroom and living room attached to big screens. I mainly use the ROKU's for watching Netflix, and other streaming channels. But, I also run Plex server from one of my office PC's and use it for streaming music to my ROKU's in the other rooms. I also have my photos on this same office PC and enjoy sharing them with my friends and family via my Roku when they are over visiting. I am also a heavy user of imaging software for my important office systems. These images are currently being stored on a 2nd internal hard drive on each system. As you know images take up quite a bit of space. It would be nice to be able to store these images on a NAS with way more storage capacity than my internal drives have.

Although I use imaging software, I really don't like having to leave one of my office PC running to use the Plex server to listen to music at the other end of the house. This system has important data on it. I run a construction business and like to use my office PC's strictly for work.

So, that is why I was wanting to maybe convert this older system into a NAS. My main concern is being able to run my Plex server from this NAS. If the hardware is not suitable for that, and I'd still have to use my office PC to run my Plex server, then I would just be defeating the purpose of building this NAS from my old system.

Thoughts on the above listed hardware on the old system would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Transcoding would probably be your hangup. It might work, but it might not as well.

RAM is cheap, so max it out if you can.
    Which Core 2 Duo processor do you have? How many ghz? It *might* be ok, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth for transcoding.

Storing the images won't be a problem. This will just be a matter of setting up samba, which is easy.

Since you were gonna toss the PC anyway, just install OMV and see what happens.

Good luck

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not really... however, you should have some way to hook up and view a display if necessary. As tekk said.. use the onboard graphics... set it to the lowest amount possible in the BIOS (if you have that option). No reason at all to use a graphics card for this situation. 16-32mb is plenty to run a console, but many BIOS won't let you go below 64mb.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some boards will run without a graphics card or onboard video.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's right, but some do not and send beeps if they cannot find a graphic device. It's worth a try, rip the card off and power on the system and you will see what it does. On the other side, a graphic card in such a system does not need much CPU power and I believe that the difference will not be very noticeable.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!