Panic or segfault in Samba

    • OMV 1.0
    • Yes, still no luck. I even tried to take a spare good old Linksys WRT54GL with fresh NVRAM erase and settings as default as they could be and connected my Windows computers to that, but OMV was still not showing up. But all other Windows 7 computers on the network are being detected and I have like 4 or 5 of them. So we are back to Samba in my opinion.
    • Workgroup is the same for all computers and Samba. Maybe let's just wait and see until next releases. Maybe some bug is discovered. As far as I know I am not the only one experiencing this issue. The shares work like a charm it is just that OMV is not being detected anymore by Windows computers in the Network section. As far as I remember it did not happen when I was enabling the WINS server and specifying the OMV address as a WINS server to DHCP clients in my router, but a few weeks after that and some updates to OMV and other updates. Maybe there was even a Samba update in between.
    • There was an update on Samba on Feb 19. CVE-2015-0240: Unauthenticated code execution attack on smbd file
      services

      that's smbd not nmbd

      Most of the time this problem either i solve it with workgroup or bringing down the firewall and AV in the windows clients. Nothing to important since i use more access by net drive than discovery.
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server
    • Neither am I. But I'm affected too.

      Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.


      Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

      I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • is it not a fight about which device has to become MasterBrowser?
      try to see with the command smbtree what has been broadcasted.
      I can remember that when devices do battle about becoming MasterBrowser that in some situations Windows cannot detect a device automatically.
      Long time ago I had a printserver causing devices not being detected correctly when it was turned on. In the end rebooting various devices in different order gave the solution.
      4x HP Microserver gen8, 3x with OMV. Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5
    • aroundmyroom wrote:

      is it not a fight about which device has to become MasterBrowser?
      try to see with the command smbtree what has been broadcasted.
      I can remember that when devices do battle about becoming MasterBrowser that in some situations Windows cannot detect a device automatically.
      Long time ago I had a printserver causing devices not being detected correctly when it was turned on. In the end rebooting various devices in different order gave the solution.


      Will give it a try. I did notice that everything was working again once my local network had been down for some time. I was reconfiguring my router and as a result many devices where offline for longer time and then I added them back one by one and discovery was working properly again.
    • mxr wrote:

      aroundmyroom wrote:

      is it not a fight about which device has to become MasterBrowser?
      try to see with the command smbtree what has been broadcasted.
      I can remember that when devices do battle about becoming MasterBrowser that in some situations Windows cannot detect a device automatically.
      Long time ago I had a printserver causing devices not being detected correctly when it was turned on. In the end rebooting various devices in different order gave the solution.


      Will give it a try. I did notice that everything was working again once my local network had been down for some time. I was reconfiguring my router and as a result many devices where offline for longer time and then I added them back one by one and discovery was working properly again.


      What you describe seems indeed a battle between devices to become masterbrowser. And in some circumstances it can take up to 15 / 20 minutes before there is again a 'battle / negotiation'. But it will still not give a solution or answer why in some circumstances another masterbrowser is not broadcasting a certain device.
      4x HP Microserver gen8, 3x with OMV. Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5