Low powered single drive NAS hardware suggestions

• Greetings,

I'm new here and looking to migrate over to OMV after playing with it in VMware for the past couple of days. I am very impressed with it's simplistic approach and it doesn't feel cluttered, just how a NAS OS should be IMO.

I currently have a QNAP TS-119 II which is getting on a bit especially due to the lack of support for it's arm based CPU. Also QTS is now trying to be more like a desktop OS with it's fancy UI which I find pointless as it now takes more time to get to where I want to be.

Anyway so now I'm hunting for a new low powered NAS setup and here are my requirements:
    - A single 2.5 inch 2TB drive for power efficiency and less noise (no need for RAID or any automated redundancy)
    - Must be able to run SABnzbd + SickBeard + CouchPotato
    - Ideally I would like to keep the power consumption to 10 watts or below as it will be running almost 24/7 (will add some scheduling in to shut down and wake up etc)
    - The NAS will feed data to XBMC running on my Amazon Fire TV so no transcoding needed (I have a reasonably powerful i5 Haswell PC for Plex if ever required)

The Banana Pi looks like a good bet and also very fun but I'm not sure if SABnzbd + SickBeard + CouchPotato will run smoothly in OMV.

I purchased an Intel NUC i3 Haswell still boxed up which I actually bought for an all in one media box, however, I don't want to part with the Fire TV so can use the NUC as a dedicated OMV NAS system but it seems like overkill!

The N2820 Celeron NUC would of course be a better fit but it does not have support for mSATA but just one 2.5 inch SSD or HDD. I guess I could use a flash drive for OMV but from what I've been reading that's not recommended. The other thing I could do is use an external USB3 2TB 2.5 inch drive which will always be connected. Could that work or will performance be affected?

At least the i3 NUC supports mSATA + an additional 2.5 inch drive which is all I need. I cannot see myself requiring any more HDD's down the road as I either backup what I need to an external drive or just delete what I don't need.

I'm very confused and not sure which route to take and would appreciate a little help here.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have this NUC which is a celeron and I have a 24 gb msata ssd in it. Would be perfect for what you want I would think.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your response ryecoaaron, to be honest that's what I want, a Celeron NUC but the problem is storage!

I need space for OMV's system drive and also another slot for a 2TB 2.5 inch drive.

Unless I keep a USB 3 drive connected to it at all times and leave it sitting on top of the device?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can put both the msata ssd and a 2.5" drive in that NUC. Put OMV on the small 24gb ssd.

• Thanks guys for your help but I've made up my mind and ordered the NUC N2820 (hopefully it'll come with the N2830 CPU).

The only question is, can I install OMV to an external USB 3 SSD hard drive? Or possibly an SSD USB Flash drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not spend a few more dollars and get the version with the msata?

Yes, omv can be installed on a usb ssd or usb hard drive. A usb flash drive that has static wear leveling is going to be expensive.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hello again rye,

Just thought I'd update the thread to say that I settled for the Celeron N2820 however I got the new N2830 CPU which Intel have replaced the N2820 with. Yay!

OMV is installed on an external USB3 SSD removal drive which sits outside on top of the case, and for data I have connected a 2TB 2.5 inch internal hard drive, performance is good and data read/write is faster than my old qnap!

Power consumption is also impressive:
    Idle (disk not spinning) = 5 watts
    Idle (disk spinning) = 7 watts
    Data read/write = 10/11 watts

Performance of the NUC N2820 is very good with OMV although I'm yet to push the system as I've not yet installed plex, sickbeard and SABnzbd etc so time will tell but it can't be any worse than the old qnap.

I haven't installed Windows or OpenElec (don't plan to either) so can't comment on performance for any other OS.

I wasted a lot of time on this mini project and have made a mess (by ordering NUC i3 and other bits and bobs) but I'm finally very happy with the end result.

I really wanted to keep the NUC i3 but I just couldn't convince myself that it made sense for a single drive NAS especially when it costs about twice as much.

Also another benefit of the Celeron is that it uses a small power adaptor directly at the mains like a mobile charger (no brick) whereas the i3 version, I believe, needs a brick due to the extra power requirements.

I hope this helps other users in the future but please bear in mind that the Celeron only has one internal sata connector which means only ONE internal drive. Not ideal for a NAS but I'm making do with the external USB 3 for now.

It's also quite cheap (total cost about £140 for NUC and 4GB RAM, I already had an SSD and 2.5 HDDs which saved costs considerably) so in the future I can use it as an dedicated HTPC if needs change so it won't go to waste.

Oh and its whisper quiet and runs cool.

Sorry it's turned out like a mini review.

Thanks again for your time Rye.
    Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Great to hear the results :) I really like the power use numbers.

• You can put both the msata ssd and a 2.5" drive in that NUC. Put OMV on the small 24gb ssd.

That people don't mistake it, the 4th Gen Celeron NUC does not have a mSATA Port. The half sized PCI-E inside it which is blocked by the Wifi/BT-Module can't be used for a mSATA SSD!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!