What type of SD card to use for Banana/Raspberry Pi Install?

• So with my first install of OMV on my Banana Pi, the cheap SD card I had in there lasted about 3 weeks. The OMV guide suggests using an SD card with static wear levelling. Under the guidance of this post: http://reprage.com/post/what-a…to-use-in-a-raspberry-pi/ I have purchsed a 16GB SanDisk Extreme card that should have wear levelling.

Does anyone have an idea of how long this card will last? 6 months, or maybe a year? If I need to keep replacing SD cards for $20 a pop every few months, this budget system isn't so budget anymore...

Many thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think the sandisk uses static wear leveling. Hard to say how long they will last. I created an install for the RPi that boots from the sd card but all of the system files are on a hard drive/ssd. That hard drive is partitioned to use as a data drive too. @davidh2k could tell you more about the setup since he is using it.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't think the sandisk uses static wear leveling. Hard to say how long they will last. I created an install for the RPi that boots from the sd card but all of the system files are on a hard drive/ssd. That hard drive is partitioned to use as a data drive too. @davidh2k could tell you more about the setup since he is using it.

This sounds intriguing. I will PM David right away.

Many thanks.

• Have to wait for my Sata cable to arrive and also need to find another SD card. My RasPi is running of a 10 year old 64MB card. ;) Can't use that one for installing the Banana...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Any updates on this post?

I'm curious aswell to a way to last longer with SD cards, since every time I shut down the Raspberry Pi and later boot it again, the SD card seems corrupted.

I'd like to find a long term solution without formatting and writing an image daily :)
    I have installed the flash memory plugin now and have created a thread with a question about it.

Thanks,
    Abel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even before the flash memory plugin, I didn't have any problem shutting down my RPi. I have the flash memory plugin running on five systems now. The amount written to the sd card tells me they are going to last a long time.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!