Shutdown System Halted issue

• Greetings,

I received the Intel NUC N2820 Celeron today and was pleased that it was actually powered by the new revised 2830 CPU that Intel have very slyly released to the market without changing the actual product code.

Anyway after much frustration with the UEFI BIOS issues I managed to install OMV version 1.0.20 amd64 using an USB stick.I installed OMV to an internally connected 60 GB SSD and it went smoothly on the second attempt (first time around all I got was a black screen after installing OMV no matter how many times I rebooted).

I installed all the available updates via the GUI and kept checking till no more were available, so it's fully up to date.I then had to shut down the system so I could relocate the NUC to my desk as I had it connected to my TV for obvious reasons but the NUC just hung with the following error: "Will now halt. 48.946748] System halted."

I then had to manually press the power button which switched off the NUC but only briefly as a few seconds later it started up again by itself and booted straight into OMV. I obviously don't want this to happen as I will be scheduling shut downs during the night (once you guys help me solve the shut down issue of course) and it's no good if it's just going to switch itself on again.

I had a look in the BIOS and USB Wake from S4/S5 state is off.

By the way it reboots fine without any issues.

I was going to download the whole log and upload here but not sure if that will reveal any sensitive info but will do it on the PC tomorrow and check for the errors and upload selectively, typing on a tablet at the moment.

Please note that I'm a complete newby to Linux and OMV is the first Linux based software that I've installed by myself but I will provide all the info you need as long as you tell me exactly what to do.

Would be really good to get this fixed as I don't want to install Windows 8 and punish myself.

Thanking you in advance.

DC

• did you install the Kernel 3.16 via omv-extras? The newer kernel can have better support of your NUC.
    See my sig how to install it and report back, if it is working, thx

• Hello Solo,

Thanks very much for the suggestion but I managed to fix this last night by changing settings in the BIOS, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly which setting it was. I think disabling UEFI completely and changing OS type to Windows 7 were two of the settings although that doesn't make sense especially the last one.

Anyway it's now working a treat although I wish I could figure out how to put the system to standby by pressing the power button. Not an issue just a nice to have .

But I'm just about to update the kernel as you suggested as that seems like the latest. I'm currently running kernel 3.2.0-4amd64.

Many thanks to you once again for your help.

EDIT: I found the standby settings and set the power button to standby but it doesn't work. Will report back if the new Kernel fixes that.

EDIT2: Updating the kernel fixed the power button issue, it now works how ever I set it.

I've only been here for a couple of days but I have to say the support on this forum is incredible.

EDIT3: Please note that after installing the kernel version mentioned above by Solo and then updating the extra updates which appear thereafter, the NUC would hang when Rebooting and would then require a forced shutdown by physically holding down the power button, then pressing again to switch back on. Shutdown, however, worked fine every single time.

To fix the reboot hanging issue I had to change the OS back to Windows 8 in the BIOS, so it seems that this setting is very important after all.

Solo, I can't thank you enough for your help.

Regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!