After latest update: Mounting / unmounting USB Harddrive causes error message

• So it is becoming even more mysterious.

The reinstall didn't really help. The same error would appear when trying to mount the disk.

I thought there might be a problem with this stupid 0294023894022EAB, so I started to search for the UUID, because I thought it might be still written in some kind of file. Here is what I did:

Code
    grep "0294023894022EAB"

I still don't have any result, but of course this might take while.

In the meantime I had another idea: check with a usb-flash drive to see if this works. I put it in, it showed up, I mounted it (it asked me confirm) and it showed up as mounted. But guess what:

The two usb hard drives suddenly also showed up as mounted. I don't think it has to do with the GREP command. But why should they mount because of the flash drive connected????

What is weird is that they also show the same size under "used", which doesn't make sense. They should not have exactly the same size. Could it be that they REALLY have the same UUID?

• last time I had issues with ghost partitions that were locked mounted and not erasable I had to go in /media and delete the folder the ghost partition was supposed to be mounted to.

Code
    rm -r /media/6234722-234234242-242442

of course use the path to your ghost folder, while the usb hdd is not connected.

Then it unlocked and I could go and delete it from partition panel.

Seems like there is something else than fstab in OMV, as it did remember the ghost partition between reboots.

• Hi bobafett, thank you for responding!

Could you elaborate a little? I am not a big linux expert, so how do I find out what folder in media I need to look at?
    -----------------------------------------
    All:
    This is driving me crazy!! ;)

Now that the disks are mounted, I can't unmount them anymore (at least not via the GUI), I am getting the following error message:

I think I had something similar before. I will have to go back to the beginning of the post and check.

• Checked in fstab and there are two NFTS disks, both with the same UUID:

• Offizieller Beitrag

The drive can't be unmounted coz is not registered at config.xml. A mounted drive by omv gets two entries, one at config.xml and one at fstab.

Check the registered omv entries with config.xml with showkey mntent and in cat /etc/fstab in between the omv tags.

The only way to register a drive is to mount it through webUI or add a manual entry at config.xml

• @bobafett: found out how to check what is in the media folder

Code
    dir /media/

There was a entry for the UUID and I deleted it with the command that you gave. I am currently rebooting. Fingers crossed that this helps...

• So I have deleted the UUID from /media/ and I have also deteled the two entries for the NFTS partitions in fstab.

I am currently rebooting to check if this had any effect.

SubZero: the usb disks where not connected to the server, so I think I will be fine. But it is a good tip, because sometimes we beginners do stupid things... ;)

OK. After a reboot here the results from fstab:

And here what is in /media/:

Code
    root@pdb-matrix:~# dir /media/
    4107a386-6776-479f-823e-d38dba9bc5b9  cdrom  f681cb50-2239-4b87-9006-a639de982087  usb  usb0

So both seemed to be clean from any of the USB drives. I will now try to connect them again.

• So I connected the USB drive "1" and this is how it shows:

Code
    root@pdb-matrix:~# ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 140 Nov 24 15:44 .
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 Nov 24 15:37 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Nov 24 15:44 0294023894022EAB -> ../../sde1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Nov 24 15:37 0bc58b70-2493-435f-b00e-e82f552146c6 -> ../../sda5
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  11 Nov 24 15:37 4107a386-6776-479f-823e-d38dba9bc5b9 -> ../../md127
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Nov 24 15:37 45d5cabe-bea7-4056-8386-4003fe129933 -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Nov 24 15:37 f681cb50-2239-4b87-9006-a639de982087 -> ../../sdd1

In fstab it does not show (which I assume is right, because it is not mounted yet):

Code
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    UUID=4107a386-6776-479f-823e-d38dba9bc5b9 /media/4107a386-6776-479f-823e-d38dba9bc5b9 ext4 defaults,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    UUID=f681cb50-2239-4b87-9006-a639de982087 /media/f681cb50-2239-4b87-9006-a639de982087 ext4 defaults,nofail,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]

Same for the /media/ folder:

Code
    root@pdb-matrix:~# dir /media/
    4107a386-6776-479f-823e-d38dba9bc5b9  cdrom  f681cb50-2239-4b87-9006-a639de982087  usb  usb0

Now when trying to mount it via the GUI...

:S:thumbdown:X(?(

Still getting this error message:

• Found it. That is one long document. I have copied it to a text file to be able to search better.

So here the content for the fstab section:

So the last two are bascially still the NFTS USB drives. The UUID is actually different, but the fsname and the media folder give them the same code.

So what now? Is it save to detele those entries or will I have to do something else. Of course, before editing I would create a .bak file as suggested. But I am not sure if I CAN delte those entries.
    What I find weird is that in the first commented example for the <mntent> there is no NTFS in the line

Code
    <type>ext2|ext3|ext4|xfs|jfs|iso9660|udf</type>

. Does it mean NFTS is not allowed?

• OK, so

Code
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/

Code
    /etc/fstab

and

Code
    /media/

are clean now. The NFTS USB disks do not show anymore after a reboot.

Fingers crossed that this is it...

I think we got it! I can't believe it!

I will have to do some further tests and try to make a backup, but I can mount both USB disks without error messages!

OK, so I ran a new backup process to the HDD001 (the one that had caused the problem on Friday) and it seems that everything worked out. I could mount the HDD without a problem, I ran the backup of 3 different shares and then I could unmount without a problem.

Before I had already testes the mounting and unmounting with both discs and that worked as well. I don't want to do the backup to the HDD002, because I want to have the one week buffer of a backup from human error (someone deleting files or doing other stupidities).

But it looks very good.

A big thank you to all that helped and especially subzero79 for the patience.

• I am always doing this, because I had some real trouble with that before as well.

Because usually if a drive is still mounted but not connected anymore, the server already stops in the boot process and I can't access via SSH or web GUI. Then I have to connect a monitor and a keyboards just to proceed, or restart with the USB disk connected (which is not always possible).

However, this time I don't think that was the problem.

I am not sure, but I think the USB drive was connected when I did the update (what usually isn't the case). My suspicion is that this might have caused the problem. But I'm really not sure.

• So here we go again.

Same error again.

I guess this time it was the Linux update today. I guess I had already connected the USB disk and when I logged into the GUI to run the backup I probably did run the upgrade process before. And I can't unmount the usb drive anymore. I know, I shouldn't have done that, but I think it would be great if there would be some kind of warning or anything that this can happen.

I guess I will have to go through all this hassle again. At least now I have a good documentation (this thread) on what to do... 8|

• This seems to become a tradition, recurring every January... :thumbdown:

Did my first backup of the year on Friday without any problem. Used the second USB-Disk today and I couldn't unmount it because it gave me an error.

Code
    Failed to get configuration (xpath=//system/fstab/mntent[uuid=''])

Went through all the process in this thread again. But what actually helps is deleting the USB disks in the fstab section of config.xml, I think.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!