After latest update: Mounting / unmounting USB Harddrive causes error message

• I did install the lastest updates via the GUI this morning.

When I tried to to mount a usb harddisk for the weekly external backup, I received this error message when trying to "apply changes" (yellow bar):

Somehow the HDD was mounted anyway, without being able to "apply changes" and I could do my backup run.

Then, when I tried to unmount the disk, again an error message:

[edit] Forgot to say, that I basically can't unmount the USB disk anymore...[/edit]

I am assuming it has something to do with the latest updates, because last week everything was working like a charm.

• I shutdown the server, disconnected the USB drive and then restarted the server.

When trying to mount the USB HD I get the following error now:

Code
    Failed to mount '/dev/disk/by-uuid/0294023894022EAB': [mntent]: line 1 in /etc/fstab is bad [mntent]: line 21 in /etc/fstab is bad Failed to write lock '/dev/sde1': Resource temporarily unavailable Error opening '/dev/sde1': Resource temporarily unavailable Failed to mount '/dev/sde1': Resource temporarily unavailable
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. omv writes to fstab if the drive is mounted, and deletes the entry if the drive is unmounted. With that NTFS drive unplugged from the system edit the file in CLI with:
    nano /etc/fstab, look for the entries for NTFS drives and delete them. NTFS drives look like this in fstab, they have a shorter UUID, different from the ones native in linux

/dev/disk/by-uuid/550EB77E650BEE9E /media/550EB77E650BEE9E ntfs defaults,nofail 0 2, once edited, reboot the system, and once running plug your drive.

Make sure youre running OMV 1.1. There were some patches added to OMV lately to improve ntfs drive handling

• Hi! Took me a while to find out that the unmount command is actually "umount" and I looked like a 100 times and all looked fine (who ever invented that umount instead of unmount should be ... not saying it). :S

I will try what you suggested and get back. I am currently rebooting after my succesful unmount command.

• OK, so unmounted the USB HDD, I went into fstab with nano, I deleted the two NFTS entries and now my fstab looks like this:

I rebooted and confirmed the fstab, still looking like above (just to make sure I did it right). I can also confirm that I am running 1.1 (Krazlic).

When I tried to mount the USB drive I am now getting this:

• OK, I was reading through the error messages as well trying to find out what the exactly mean. I also saw that there was an error for line 1 and I tried to figure out what it was.

Zitat

You've or someone else

Na, unfortunately can't blame anyone else. Must have been me.

Not to sude to fiddle with those things like nano I probably deleted the #.

Added the # back in, saved the fstab and am currently rebooting. Will give more feedback once the server is back...

• So, server is back, plugged in the USB drive, shows up in the GUI as /dev/sde1 like before.

When selecting it and then go for "mount" I am getting the following error message:

• OK, did some research and found out that I need to put /sbin/ before.

Code
    root@pdb-matrix:~# /sbin/blkid
    /dev/md127: LABEL="RAID1" UUID="4107a386-6776-479f-823e-d38dba9bc5b9" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda1: UUID="45d5cabe-bea7-4056-8386-4003fe129933" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="0bc58b70-2493-435f-b00e-e82f552146c6" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sdd1: LABEL="BACKUPINTERNAL" UUID="f681cb50-2239-4b87-9006-a639de982087" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdc: UUID="85c070e3-0215-692c-f667-e7dc78abd5b2" LABEL="openmediavault:raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member" UUID_SUB="f40370f1-2143-7d2c-18da-2f85c1c2c5b7"
    /dev/sdb: UUID="85c070e3-0215-692c-f667-e7dc78abd5b2" LABEL="openmediavault:raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member" UUID_SUB="280f3d31-6b2c-07d8-8ac0-fe4757c33655"
    /dev/sde1: LABEL="pdb-backup-ext02-seagate-expan" UUID="0294023894022EAB" TYPE="ntfs"
  • What!? no way

try again please just blkid in the terminal

@ berritorre:
    The command \342\200\213blkid is wrong, it is just blkid. If this doesn't wrk, please post the whole CLI output, because then there is something really weird going on in your system.

• writing the mbr with dd is very dangerous, if you don't know, what you are doing ;(
    Is there another solution for the "normal users"?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!