omv-initsystem result in 'return code 1'

• Hi,

Had to reinstall OMV today and oddly the command omv-initsystem doesn't work.
    On a fresh Wheezy, it returns :

Code
    hostname: Name or service not known
    run-parts: /usr/share/openmediavault/initsystem/20hostname exited with return code 1

So I bypassed it by specifying the hostname in the script. But now the system is unstable and reboot whenever I write data on my raid5.

After further investigation in the syslog, a line appears before each crash :

Code
    rrdcached[2350]: Received FLUSHALL

And may be related to collectd, so I checked the daemon :

Code
    root@rack-omv:~# monit restart collectd
    monit: Cannot translate 'rack-omv' to FQDN name -- Name or service not known

And the loop is looped ...

So how can I fix this situation ?
    I've been struggling for two days with OMV (mdadm, fs issues) and will be pleased to start migrating my data from my old nas to my new one.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why don't you install from the OMV iso instead of Wheezy?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Simply because the official iso is using the whole disk and I need to keep some space for VMs (and other stuff).

I don't want to be mean but what's the point of this kind of answer ? That's pretty lame, especially coming from a moderator.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is the second person having problems omv-init from wheezy install. Will have to look at it.
    BTW calm down, is saturday and most of us are doing other stuff. You can do a straight install with OMV iso and then install the backup plugin and install gparted, from there you can resize the system partition.
    Will look into the omv-init error

• Offizieller Beitrag

Lame, huh? It wasn't an answer. It was a question as a starting point to help. I just wanted to know why you didn't use the iso since that is the only supported installation method. I have never had an issue setting up OMV on Debian though. So, it seems you are doing something wrong that OMV doesn't like. It is very hard to know which step is conflicting with OMV in the Debian setup process.

Does the web interface work without running omv-initsystem? Maybe it would easier to use the iso to install and then re-partition using gparted-live or systemrescuecd??

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Pardon my rudeness but I'm quite spent after two days struggling over OMV on different matters.

Concerning initsystem, I've done two install of OMV, today and yesterday, on the same machine and only one has failed (which is why I'm posting).
    To answer your question ryecoarron, yes the webui is working despite initsystem aborting the procedure and globaly everything works fine except my issue.

I used the official iso for three years or so and I find it is much easier to partition my system at the beginning.
    So as I saw that OMV was referenced in Debian Wiki with a standalone version, I jumped on it.

In the meantime, even with data being written on my raid, the server has yet to be rebooted. Maybe omv-mkconf collectd with the modified 20hostname file has somehow did the trick.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your syslog has a ton of errors - framebuffer, collectd, snmpd, etc. I would definitely try the 3.16 backports kernel (install button in onv-extras) and dont worry about executing omv-initsystem. You might need to check router because your hostname isnt resolving right from what I can tell.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!