Big Data Loss with OMV and Snapraid

• Hello Guys,

i really need your help, cause since yesterday im missing about 6 GB of Data ( Mostly *.mkv & *.jpg) on my system.

Here is my setup:

1x 60 GB SSD with OMV installed
    1x WD RED 3 TB as Parity
    3x WD Red 3 TB as Content + Data

The diskspace on my 3 Content + Data drive has been like: Disk 1: 92% Usage Disk 2: 94% Usage Disk 3: 50 % Usage.
    The diskspace on my Parity Drive is: 90 % Usage

On Saturday i did a full sync with Snapraid. The result was 12 writing erros. Therefor i run scrub in Snapraid. Scrub ran without any problem and i still had access to all my data. Yesterday i installed Calibre and made a mistake while choosing the correct folder. Therefore caliber changed the ownership for half of my files and in the end my system crashed while uninstalling calibre.

For me it was no problem, i just run clonezilla and restored an backup of the OS before the installation of calibre.

After the backup booted i was pretty shocked, as on my Datadrivers nearly everything was lost. Disk Usage on Disk 1: 20 % ond Disk 2: 25 % and ond Disk 3: 50 %. Parity is still 90%

Only the Data on Disk 3 still fully exists...the rest on the other two disks is more or less fully gone.

I then tried with snapraid FIX to recover the data. After 12 hours of running it finished today, with restoring about 100 gb of 6 TB !!

I've checked the disks and according to Crystal Disk they are fine so i don't know where the data has gone or what happened to it.

Is there any other way to recover my data then using snapraid FIX ?

Software:
    OMV 3.0 / Plex / Snapraid / Tvheadend / ecoDMS / sonar / sabnzbd
    Hardware:
    ASRock C2750D4I / 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 / Dell PERC H200 Crossflashed / 8x WD Red 3 TB / 60GB TeamGroup Dark L3 SSD / Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD / Sundtek Sky TV Ultimate 6 DVB-S2

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am wondering the same thing?? Did you use the same shared folder for everything? It does change the owner of the files in its shared folder but never deletes anything.

** edit - I take that back. It does delete the user which would delete its home folder. If you had other stuff in that folder, it would delete it... Guess I will be removing the user deletion from all plugins. Very sorry that your data was deleted :(

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Hi Guys,

i guess it happend like this:

i have a pool folder called storage. In this folder i have different subfolders like: , movies, anime etc.

After the calibre installation i wanted to created a new shared folder in this subfolder called ebook. but instead of putting the path like: //storage/ebook it was //storage.

So Calibre took over the ownership of everything in the subfolder.

When i realized my mistake i first removed the shared folder created wrongly for calibre. Then im asked to only delete the share or also recrusivly the whole folder. I've chosen only the remove the share.

Till this point everythin was still ok and the data still existing.

But then when i uninstalled Calibre i guess while deleting the User Calibre it also deleted everything with the ownership of calibre ?!?

Maybe this was my mistake or problem :(

But i thought with Snapraid it would be no problem to get the data back...but maybe i missunderstood something as i only received a few gigs back :-/

Is "extundelete" similar to photorec ?

Software:
    Hardware:
    ASRock C2750D4I / 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 / Dell PERC H200 Crossflashed / 8x WD Red 3 TB / 60GB TeamGroup Dark L3 SSD / Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD / Sundtek Sky TV Ultimate 6 DVB-S2

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you change the folder in calibre, that new folder becomes calibre's new home folder. When the plugin is uninstalled (changed now), it removed the user (and its home directory). Since you had everything in it, it removed everything. The plugin no longer removes the home folder so this should not happen again. While the plugin should have had its own shared folder (which you tried to do), it really shouldn't delete the user on uninstallation from this experience. So, it won't anymore.

I don't use snapraid but the fix command should've recovered the data from what I read. Maybe some help from the snapraid author would be beneficial.

extundelete is like photorec except it recovers filenames/directory names.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I will write to the Snapraid Author aswell, but friends told me Snapraid is only usefull i've i loose data on one hard disk. I've i loose data on two hard disk at the same time, there is no chance to revert it properly with only one parity drive. I don't know why, but i now tried the second time FIX command and it always gives me unreacoverable.....

As im not familiar with the linux comands ( therefore i asked about photorec) do you know a good tutorial for extundelete ?

Anyway thank you for your help and the explanation.

Software:
    Hardware:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would boot systemrescuecd and do the following:

- mount a drive to recover files TO: mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/backup
    - change to that directory: cd /mnt/backup
    - extundelete --restore-all /dev/sdWZ

Substitute XY and WZ for the actual partition letters and numbers. You may have to run it more than once if the files were in a pool covering multiple disks. If you post fdisk -l and cat /etc/fstab, I can help more.

• Ok.

i will reply to you later on, as im official working at the moment ;)

Software:
    Hardware:

• SnapRAID can only restore files from 1 lost HDD, if one Parity-drive is used.
    RAID is no backup: http://www.petemarovichimages.…id-as-your-backup-system/
    but: your data shouldn't be deleted by uninstalling a plugin
    This is fixed on github

• Offizieller Beitrag

The "data being deleted by plugin" issue has been thoroughly covered and I mentioned it a few posts back when I explained what happened. This plugin had plenty of time and testing and this issue still slipped through. It is fixed on github and new version already in repo.

• I would boot systemrescuecd and do the following:

- mount a drive to recover files TO: mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/backup
    - change to that directory: cd /mnt/backup
    - extundelete --restore-all /dev/sdWZ

Substitute XY and WZ for the actual partition letters and numbers. You may have to run it more than once if the files were in a pool covering multiple disks. If you post fdisk -l and cat /etc/fstab, I can help more.

So i downloaded Systemrescuecd, bootet and used commands fdsik - l and cat /etc/fstab

I also installed another 3 TB HDD ( Toshiba) to put the backup files onto.

fdisk -l

cat /etc/fstab

Code
    ####################################################
    ## ATTENTION: THIS IS THE FSTAB ON THE LIVECD     ##
    ## PLEASE EDIT THE FSTAB at /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab ##
    ####################################################
    tmpfs           /                               tmpfs   defaults        0 0
    /dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy                     auto    noauto          0 0

Software:
    Hardware:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von writzthecat ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Need a little more info...

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo
    cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab
    cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/snapraid.conf

• cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab

cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/snapraid.conf

Software:
    Hardware:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von writzthecat ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

From sysresccd. You won't need to leave sysresccd until the data is recovered.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One last thing... I need the output of: blkid

• Here we go :)

blkid

Code
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    /dev/sda1: UUID="be149662-abd5-4d5d-b532-14d091321812" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000397bf-01"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="5d31da78-38c9-48e7-8aa0-bfa5c4b18235" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="000397bf-05"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Backup" UUID="c7692c8e-2a3e-4ac2-b954-29c71ac43df9" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="abbbbcb7-4831-4c62-b4ce-b8eefa757578"
    /dev/sdc1: LABEL="DISK3" UUID="858099db-5680-44d7-8cd3-79134be2157c" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="571fd11d-2fe9-46a0-a45e-32bfd5a677ef"
    /dev/sdd1: LABEL="DISK2" UUID="2f914808-85f6-4b9b-aee3-43cfad784960" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="e563015a-431e-488a-93ea-30960db9df19"
    /dev/sde1: LABEL="DISK1" UUID="0722de2e-cf4b-4a63-aece-f01f502b7c27" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="da3e312c-be1c-42b3-bd40-810f5be6ce4b"
    /dev/sdf1: LABEL="Parity1" UUID="a7f543ef-6a8f-41f9-ac83-942085c9bfca" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="c206d942-0953-4b93-bb1b-2239a8c42fe7"

Software:
    Hardware:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the drive labeled Backup is your new drive?

• Yep. This is the drive i installed today. It is not included in Snapraid.

Software:
    Hardware:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok.

If there are no missing files from disk3, I guess you don't need to do the last two steps.

• I got this error:

Code
    zsh: Input/output error: extundelete

Software:
    Hardware:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!