Error when installing, please check if there is anything wrong with my setup

• Hi,

I am trying to install the latest OMV 1.0. I followed the installation wiki and . I have the following setup:

• Created a bootable USB by putting the image onto a USB 2.0 flash drive with UNetbootin
    • disconnected all my SATA hard drives
    • trying to install into a USB 3.0 Portable hard drive. The portable hard drive is formatted and is NTFS.
    • The USB flash drive is plugged into USB 2.0 port, portable hard drive USB 3.0 port.

When I do the install, I get to the partition phase it detects some disk but outputs Fail to Partition when trying to format it to ext4. I think the install is not detecting my USB 3.0 disk and is trying to partition my installation flash drive instead and failing. I guess the few questions I have are, is it possible to install OMV with this setup, and what are some possible solutions to this problem.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try a usb 2.0 port for both drives because the standard kernel may not support usb 3.0 on your motherboard. I also would use win32diskimager instead of unetbootin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Unfortunately, I only have a USB 3.0 hard drive. I will try win32diskimager on the USB flash drive tonight instead. Thanks.

@tekkb only the install image is on a USB stick, I am planning to install it onto a Western Digital USB 3.0 Portable hard drive which I think is a 2.5" drive in an enclosure. Reading the other posts it seems like that was okay. Thanks for the warning though.

• The use of am USB 3.0 device shouldn't matter at this point if you plug it into an USB 2.0 port on your motherboard, because USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible and should be recognized at a 2.0 port without problems.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• The use of am USB 3.0 device shouldn't matter at this point if you plug it into an USB 2.0 port on your motherboard, because USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible and should be recognized at a 2.0 port without problems.

I thought backwards compatibility only meant USB 3.0 ports can take USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 devices. I did not know that it also meant USB 2.0 ports can take USB 3.0 devices as USB 2.0 configuration. I will try that out tonight as well, thanks.

• Thank you all I have succeeded in installing OMV onto the portable hard drive. I think plugging the USB 3.0 into the USB 2.0 port did the trick and installation was very smooth. I also used the win32 imager on the usb stick and installation experience was better than using unetbootin before.

After the installation, I plugged the hard drive back into the USB 3.0 port and everything still works perfectly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!