Installing Owncloud on OMV version 1

• I spent way too much time on this and thought others could benefit from this also. I wanted to install OwnCloud 7 using MySQL. I am syncing my computer using BTSync and wanted to be able to share and browse files using Owncloud.

During the process of figuring everything out, I feel like I kept fighting with OMV. In its attempt to lock everything down and control the config of the server makes this sort of thing far too clumsy and difficult. I really like the idea of OMV, and don't really want to learn about manually managing RAID, spin down of drivers, health checks, etc. That's why I'm sticking with OMV. Otherwise going straight Ubuntu and using something like Saltstack to configure everything would be the ticket. With a tool like Saltstack, the server configuration can be checked into source code repository (like Github). Configuration can be versioned and easily repeatable without a bunch of click configurations.

I ended up installing MySQL and owncloud outside the OMV plugin system. I struggled a bit with NGINX configuration, so ended up using the configuration file from the owncloud plugin. Here are the instructions:

Externer Inhalt gist.github.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• First thank you for sharing!
    Second, does installing Owncloud the way you described cause the installation of apache2 as well?
    If yes, doesn't this create problems to nginx?

I also assume that to follow your guide, using mysql or sqlite does not make any difference (given that the steps involving mysql are disregarded... of course.

Thanks for your answer.

• Hi -

Zitat

does installing Owncloud the way you described cause the installation of apache2

No - the owncloud debian package does not automatically install apache. If you want to use apache, then it will not create a problem for nginx as long as you configure apache to listen to a different IP or port than nginx is listening to.

Zitat

using mysql or sqlite does not make any difference

Correct. By default, the owncloud package installs and configures sqllite. Once installed, the first time you access the owncloud server you have the option to keep the sqllite configuration, or change it to mysql/mariadb. I didn't try sqllite, but from what I have read it is much faster using mysql.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks johnson, I followed your guide but I run into some problems.

After the installation, when I tried to access the owncloud, I got the dreaded 502 bad gateway.
    It turned out that the owncloud-omv that is downloaded at line 44 differs from the one you report in your post.

I removed the line containing fastcgi_param PHP_VALUE "upload_tmp_dir ... clearly pointing to your hard disk ;) and corrected the following one to: fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;

Now I get the owncloud welcome.

• Zitat

I ended up installing MySQL and owncloud outside the OMV plugin system. I struggled a bit with NGINX configuration, so ended up using the configuration file from the owncloud plugin. Here are the instructions:

I don't see the instructions mentioned in the first post?
    Can somebody post them?

• How comes that the instructions disappeared?? :?:

File owncloud-omv:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!