First NAS build - any help would be appreciated

• Hi guys,

First time posting on here. I just joined but have been reading and researching for a while now. I'm looking to build my first NAS to run OMV. Mainly used for storage of files and streaming of music and video over WiFi using Plex. Intending to run RAID 1 with two HDDs. OMV to be installed on the SSD.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/rN3HrH
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/rN3HrH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A6-6420K 4.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($124.00 @ CPL Online)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.50 @ Centre Com)
    Storage: Patriot Blaze 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.00 @ IJK)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.00 @ IJK)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($83.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($69.00 @ CPL Online)
    Total: $685.50
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-30 23:34 EST+1100

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will the system be transcoding or running virtual machines? If not, you probably could use a more energy efficient processor.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would go prefer a mb with an atheros or intel nic, but if your omv is gonna get connected through wifi i guess is ok. I would also cut one RAM module to 1x4GB.
    Those SSD are maybe fast, but maybe not so reliable in time, omv writes a lot to system drive. Maybe if you have a spare second hand 2.5 spin drive around from a laptop or other system and use that one (I use one from 2006). An ssd is going to give you fast boot times and a faster response in the webUI.
    I like that case for NAS

• Intending to run RAID 1 with two HDDs.

What's the reason for RAID 1 on that system? Any critical data on that device - is availability necessary? If you thinking about "backup" - that's the wrong way... RAID 1 (mirroring) comes in handy, if you got a business and one HDD fails. So you can keep working. If this is not a scenario, drop RAID 1 and do real backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would go prefer a mb with an atheros or intel nic, but if your omv is gonna get connected through wifi i guess is ok. I would also cut one RAM module to 1x4GB.

Exactly what I was going to say. Not sure how effective plex will be streaming over Wifi... but I guess you'll find out.

• Exactly what I was going to say. Not sure how effective plex will be streaming over Wifi... but I guess you'll find out.

I do Plex streaming over wifi to my htpc and tablets, but everything is 802.11n. It works just as well as the wired pc. I don't really know what bitrate it's using, but plex on the living room TV looks just as great as any other HD content over cable to me.

I expect that 802.11b would be limited to low res and 802.11g *might* be able to do 720p. 802.11n or ac should be fine.

• I would go prefer a mb with an atheros or intel nic, but if your omv is gonna get connected through wifi i guess is ok. I would also cut one RAM module to 1x4GB.
    Those SSD are maybe fast, but maybe not so reliable in time, omv writes a lot to system drive. Maybe if you have a spare second hand 2.5 spin drive around from a laptop or other system and use that one (I use one from 2006). An ssd is going to give you fast boot times and a faster response in the webUI.
    I like that case for NAS

I don't have any old hdds so everything for this build will have to be purchased. So you think a 1tb wd blue drive would be better than a small ssd? They are the same price at the stores I can buy from where I live.

• What's the reason for RAID 1 on that system? Any critical data on that device - is availability necessary? If you thinking about "backup" - that's the wrong way... RAID 1 (mirroring) comes in handy, if you got a business and one HDD fails. So you can keep working. If this is not a scenario, drop RAID 1 and do real backup.

I guess maybe raid 0 might be better as I back up my most important files in the cloud and in offline external hdds. The nas will be used for storing those same files for easy access but mostly for media. It will be for home use and not for a business.

• I refined my build. Upgraded the CPU so that I can transcode two 1080p streams at once.

Ditching RAID altogether and just having one HDD. What do you think?

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/9HzwjX
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/9HzwjX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($135.00 @ CPL Online)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($125.00 @ CPL Online)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.00 @ Centre Com)
    Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.00 @ CPL Online)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($155.00 @ IJK)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($83.00 @ CPL Online)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($69.00 @ CPL Online)
    Total: $716.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-07 10:27 EST+1100

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should be good with that setup :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!