[Wishlist] Logout button in the web-gui

• I don't know if I am the only one with trembling fingers but today it happened twice that I wanted to logout from the web-gui and hit reboot instead and that was not the first time. These two actions are right on top of each other and this is IMHO a somehow unfortunate layout.
    When I am at work and managing the two boxes I oftenly switch between the machines and log out and in and sometimes I hit the wrong button.

I believe it would be smart to have a simple logout button without the follow-up inquiry (Do you really want...) in the same line as the actual action menu. Opinions?

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Done.... thanks for pointing this out, Wastl.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• As fast as my feature request was opened it was closed. One button is enough, ok.

Only someone who is logging in and out dozens of times to printers, routers, print servers, switches, KVM-switches, NAS and other stuff almost every can probably understand my wish.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could set the timeout to 1 min and then you wouldn't have to worry about logging out. Just close the window/tab.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know that I can set the timeout to a value other than zero and so it will log me out automatically. But if you oftenly move through the menus and configure up and down and a phone call for support come in or something important needs my attention and I come back I am logged out. So I set the value to zero.

Ok, this is moaning on a high level. ;) But professional menus don't have logout and reboot right on top of each other.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe he could put a separator in the menu to put a little more space between them??

Would a logout button in a plugin work for you?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I think it would be very reasonable to have a logout button directly accessible (without menu).
    This is because the one thing you will definately do every single time after logging in is: logout.
    I didn't yet accidetally choose the wrong menu entry, but logging out is not as convenient as it should be IMHO.

• I helped myself.....

Bilder

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just to warn you, you will have to re-apply your fix every time you update.

• Thanks for the hint, but I know that.

Code
    update-rc.d alteromvdefaults.sh defaults

is my friend... ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

He already said he would not reorder the buttons here

• Of course he can and it is not that difficult, but he wouldn't.....

I don't know if you have read his answer to my feature request @ Mantis:

Zitat

Sorry, one button is enough. The current button place and ordering will not be changed.

I know that programming such a project is a very sophisticated job and he has my full respect. But after more then 22 years in IT I have learned that keeping things simple and as error-free as possible when constructing user menus is one of the golden rules of programming software.
    And we do not simply leave a page by closing the window. If you work on OS400 like we do since 1988 then you will learn very fast that you have to logout and not close the window, because the machine keeps the session-id for several hours and you have to request a clearing of the id at our OS400 department (They love to do that....).
    And there are other examples, i.e. the web-gui of APC USV, when you just close the window the session will remain and no other user can log in until you come back and log yourself out.
    So I accustomed myself to always log me out when I leave the ui of a device. This is safe and professional.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!