Failed to mount a partition

• Hi,

On my system drive (500GB with 20GB dedicated to omv)I have a data partition I would like to mount.
    But when I try to mount it I got an error message with the following error message

Failed to mount '/media/236c8ff4-b7a4-48b0-8348-d7abb7915c6b/Samsung25inch/': mount: special device /media/236c8ff4-b7a4-48b0-8348-d7abb7915c6b/Samsung25inch/ does not exist

Is there something I could try to solve my problem?

Thank you

Sined

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Here is the requested info

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your system drive (sdb) displays only three partitions at blkid:

System /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb3 (systemdata) and swap /dev/sdb5, are there any extra partitions there? is sdb3 the one you're trying to mount?

Can you post here fdisk /dev/sdb -l

Also the problem might be related that this drive 236c8ff4-b7a4-48b0-8348-d7abb7915c6b is not present any more, you probably didn't remove it cleanly. Can you post command mount

• Dear subzero79,

Thank you so much for the time spent on this issue.

To be honest I resized the system disk in order to use the spare space left. I used GParted but apparently something went wrong.

Partition table entries are not in disk order

• Apparently, everything is messed up.
    I am not able to mount anything anymore.

This is what I get when I try to mount a USB disk from the GUI

Code
    Failed
     to mount '/media/236c8ff4-b7a4-48b0-8348-d7abb7915c6b/Samsung25inch/': 
    mount: special device 
    /media/236c8ff4-b7a4-48b0-8348-d7abb7915c6b/Samsung25inch/ does not 
    exist
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I hope you didn't lose data.
    OMV can't format partitions, then the only way omv is gonna let them mount is formatting them in CLI, after that i am sure they will appear for mounting. You can try the backup plugin to recover data with extundelete ot photorec on those partitions

As for the USB, is messed because it wasn't remove clean probably, also is pointing to nfs exports i see. Maybe you formatted the USB now it has different UUID? IS 236c8ff4-b7a4-48b0-8348-d7abb7915c6b the USB?

You will have to manually edit /etc/fstab and /etc/openmediavault/config.xml (the mntent references) to remove those orphan entries.

Backup the config.xml file just in case

• Hi,

No fortunately not;
    Eventually I decided to restart from scratch.
    I reinstalled my Omv.

Do you have any advice to repartition my system drive in order to recuperate the unused space .

Sined

• Offizieller Beitrag

gparted that comes with the backup plugin can resize without loosing data. But if you want from the beginning isntall debian wheezy and partition the disk at install then install omv on top. Omv doesn't come with a partition section in the installer. If you want easier partition resizing at the future then you probably want to use lvm. You can search on Google for lvm, and then debian wheezy installer can do it at the beginning. Before any install is recommended that you physically disconnect all data drives

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!