Universal Media Server the better "PLEX" Server ?

• I accidentally found thes "Universal Media Server " ( UMS ) in the Web , which is available for Linux too.

Then I searched the forum and found the old thread. Just built my first OMV - looking to add UMS/PS3MS

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/

I have not yet any experience with a mediaserver but the spec's of UMS seems to better than PLEX ?
    In the future I'll also use a media server with my smart tv.

What do the experts think about this UMS . Will there be eventually a plugin for OMV ?

Can be downloaded here : http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tried every media server and Plex is better than UMS. Plex is written in C and easily outperforms UMS (java app). So, no plugin from me.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There are at least 3 media serving plugins that I know off (Plex, Subsonic and Mediabrowser) I can't see anyone spending much time creating a plugin for yet another one.
    Sorry.

[align=center]banner@1x.jpg
    What I am watching/watched on my Popcorn Hour media player
    omv 2.1.1 stoneburner | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 1.29
    MySQL (Percona[size=8]) | Newznab | Sonarr | CP | HP | NZBget | YAMJ | CUPS

• Offizieller Beitrag

minidlna too :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

My Samsung and LG smart TVs all have dlna clients builtin. So, you don't have to use Plex app. The plex app will allow more formats and more features though. Plex has a dlna server builtin as well.

• THX , good to know. I already use the OMV minDNLA plugin. works fine with my LG . So l'll try PLEX soon.

How is the appearance on your TV's w/o Plex App - looKs the same as with a dedicated APP ?

Just via miniDLNA everything is very confusing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't like the smarttv apps myself. I use openelec (on rpi and cubox-i) or firetv (with xbmc/kodi installed) on my TVs. Much better than anything the tv can do with an app or not.

• The Plex app works really well on my Samsung Smart TV. But the FireTV is really fast in comparison. I still have a FireTV, Roku and WD TV Live. Crazy but I like each one for different things. The Plex app on my TV can stream too, it does not need to have things trancoded down.

• Regarding Fire TV :

Is there XBMC/Kodi factory installed or must that be done by oneself. Then I'v both worlds ?
    The Amazon Prime cloud and my own NAS mediaserver running via FireTV ? ?

Compared to cubox-i ( w openelec ) is Fire TV box an inexpensive alternative.

I think for the cubox-i I've to less Linux knowledge.

• Offizieller Beitrag

xbmc/kodi has to be side loaded. It isn't hard and there is a HowTo on xbmc wiki.

cubox-i and firetv are fairly close to the same price. xbmc/kodi work on a firetv stick as well. It is much cheaper. If you use amazon video, firetv or stick is the way to go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you can use firetv without being an amazon prime member. If you aren't going to use amazon prime, I would get a cubox-i or even an RPi and use openelec.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perfect! solidrun and openelec are partners. The cuboxtv comes with openelec preinstalled. You get the quad core cubox-i for a lower price (if you pre-order).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't worry. It is openelec. I have read plenty about their partnership.

• I had not used the Plex app on FireTV (hardware unit). I was just thinking about it so I tried it. OMG, it scrolled through my movies so fast.

If you are seeing a gray border around the picture you need to run the overscan wizard in the options for the app.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!