Problems with disk APM

• I'm having a spindown-up problem in the disks of my snapraid array.
    I have four disks in the SR array and six in ZFS. As I only use the server at nights, I thought about putting the disks to sleep.
    I configured all disks to APM = 1 and 20 minutes wait.

Then I noticed that there was heavy spin up-down, and thought that the drives in the ZFS where the culprit, as they are used by virtualbox, owncloud, mysql... so I deactivated APM and time on them.
    But I continued hearing disks waking and sleeping so I started to monitor them. I tried to dump all hdd activity to syslog, using iotop and a custom script that showed processes, files and device, but didn't find anything being accessed on the SR array. All the activity was on the system disk.

So I deactivated all APM options on all disks, but guess what, two disks continue to respawn. Those two disks are the last ones I bought. They are 2tb seagates and are sleeping for 1-2 minutes, then wake and immediately sleep again, in loop.
    I'm afraid they will break soon.

Is that a problem with OMV disk management for newer disks? Anyone knows how to stop this?

• I've manually deactivated the APM on those disks and they stay online without problems.

Then, I've manually stopped all the disks and setup a script to watch for accesses. They wake after some minutes but nothing is logged.

@ryecoaaron Could that accesses not being logged been at the poolshare and not registered as is by AUFS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoaaron Could that accesses not being logged been at the poolshare and not registered as is by AUFS?

No idea. I have never had my disks spin down.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!