Best way to organize CIFS shares

• Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding CIFS shares.

As of now I have 2x 3TB Red drives. On each drive I have a single Folder for example: Storage_New.
    This Folder contains other folders such as: Downloads, Pictures, Music, etc....

I now created one CIFS share for each drive which shares that one main Folder.

So in this case I have two CIFS shares: Storage_New, Storage_Old.
    These two shares shares the entire contents of my two drives. Is this a bad thing? Is there a recommended way?

Thanks!

• Hi Bavilo,

it depends on what you're doing.
    I prefer diffrent shares for diffrent kinds of data.
    For example Pictures, Videos, Music, Doks, Applications etc.

If your using DLNA-Media-Servers might be easier to select/import diffrent shares, just had a bad experience this weekend.
    I used to have a share called /Multimedia with /Movie, /Music, / Pictures. I set up the DLNA-Index on /Multimedia...

What happend, all my Music-Cover-Arts where indexed as Pictures...

It also easier to me for backups etc. cause I have diffrent intervals to backup and i feel more comfortable with userrights etc.

| HP Microserver N54L | 8GB RAM (ECC) | BIOS-Mod | 6 Disks - 40GB Intel SSD (Erasmus), 40GB Intel SSD (VMStore), 2TB Seagate NAS HDD (Data), 2TB WD Red (DataBackup), 6TB WD Red (Rec), 6TB WD Red (RecBackup) | Delock PCI-E USB 3.0 (Art. 89315) | deleyCON Dual DS 2x USB 3.0, 1x 2,5" & 1x 3,5" HDD | APC Back-UPS ES 700G | rsync to remote site | NFS | SMB/CIFS | SSH | omv-extras.org - VirtualBox |

• Drive1
    media folder share (then access via SAMBA and inside it create Music, Movies, Photos, etc..)

Drive2

storage2 share (then access via SAMBA and create media2 folder and inside it put Music2, Movies2, Photos2)

Drive3

storage3 share ( then do same as Drive 2 but use 3 at end of folder names.

You can use symlinks from any of the media folders in the storage folders to the shares on Drive 1. There is a symlink TAB to create symlinks on the Downloader plugin. There is tree selection and you can go from say Music 2(on Drive2) to Music on the first drive.
    No union file system. No Greyhole. No pooling. Clean and simple. Then I backup whole drives.

You might need to do some work to figure it out but it works really nice.

PS- I create and uploads share on one of my data drives too. Then on my root of system drive I have an uploads folder. I create a symlink from the uploads SAMBA share to the uploads folder on the system drive. When I upload (with the Downloader plugin) to the uploads SAMBA share I only have to cd /uploads on the system drive to have access to my uploads. That is damn nice too.

PPS- The Symlinks TAB on the Downloader plugin is awesome if you know how to use it. A hidden gem!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!