Privileges work not w Win-XP

• OMV 1.5

I tested my NAS for a while w 2 Win-7 computers. Works fine as it should regarding the privileges.

Than I tested w a Win-XP PC . Big surprise - Although there are name and PW for a user, that doesn't matter.

You even don't have to announce yourself w name and PW. I can do read and write and erase everything ! !

Want went wrong here ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perhaps you log into with another account in that pc and got cached. If you do so, make sure you delete share in xp before testing another account with net use.
    Is the issue still persistant, even after you reboot winxp? If so just make sure every other PC is not connected to OMV and watch the service section webUI for SMB it will tell you which user is logged to narrow the issue

• Today I continued and found the problem: The user name and pw for Win-XP was indentical w the login user name and pw for the OMV user / shared folder(s) !

That means Win-XP automaticaly login to OMV when starting the PC.

Is this the way it should or can work ? ?

I changed the user name and PW and then it works as I expect in the same way w the other devices.

• This a known problem. Thought only existed in win7. This will make a guest access to fail, in a particular case were the pwd are different. In that case you can type nobody as login an no pwd

Can't understand y comment . How can I login f.i. as user-1 (admin) on a Win-XP system when I gave the user-1 a user pw and then enter on the login nobody and no pw. Nobody is no admin or user on this Win-XP PC. Then nobody becomes a guest ?

• Can't understand y comment . How can I login f.i. as user-1 (admin) on a Win-XP system when I gave the user-1 a user pw and then enter on the login nobody and no pw. Nobody is no admin or user on this Win-XP PC. Then nobody becomes a guest ?

Nobody does not need to be an admin on the local machine, this user only has to be a valid user on the target machine. But it might be possible that win cannot login that user, than you have to add the machine name of the NAS and a backslash before the user name like this: homenas\nobody. This is how I always log in to my OMV boxes, I always use different user names.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have a long way to learn....check the samba config at /etc/samba/smb.conf or the samba documentation website

The guest account is mapped to system account nobody (which he does not belong to groups users, thus no write access). You set up a share with guest allowed and privileges and by any chance you have win username identical to OMV and different password.
    What would happen if you try an access AS GUEST from that username account in windows, the login prompt will fail all the time. In this case windows is sending the "credentials" before. So for that particular case you can type nobody and no pwd.

Any other case the guest allowed should login straight into the share with just read access

In your particular case you login straight to the share because windows send the valid credentials, which in this case happened to be the same in OMV

• @'datadigger / subzero79 THX for your samba lessons.

1. login at OMV as admin was never a problem from any machine.
    2. I never wanted to login OMV for data access as guest from any machine.
    3. I have two users on OMV :user1 and user2 - they should be able to login OMV after entering username / pw
    4. Everything worked perfect for user1 and user2 on both Win-7 machines
    5. Problem w Win-XP was : the Win-XP user1 login with pw xyz was identical with
    the user1 user on OMV with sam pw yxz. = duplicate username and pw on OMV and client
    6. When I changed the username on XP machine from user1 to user3 (and pw ) = problem solved

"In your particular case you login straight to the share because windows send the valid credentials, which in this case happened to be the same in OMV" That is no fault in Win-XP ? Win-7 operate same way ?

Maybe I havn't got it at all, I anyway learned a lot from this thread, for instance that the guest construct is an easy way to allow guests to access public folders ? ! THX

• Today I continued and found the problem: The user name and pw for Win-XP was indentical w the login user name and pw for the OMV user / shared folder(s) !

Congratulations for figuring that out.

That means Win-XP automaticaly login to OMV when starting the PC.

Normal behaviour.

I changed the user name and PW and then it works as I expect in the same way w the other devices.

Well, then I have to say, in that case, your expecation doesn't concur with how Samba/Windows behaves. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!